Our local education authority has altered our holidays this year in an effort to make each term an equal length.
So we broke up for our Easter holidays on Friday and now have two weeks off. But hang on .... where is Easter? Well according to my calculations, Easter is three weeks away. So we will be back in school before Easter.
Confused? So are we!!!
It felt very strange not making our Easter baskets and giving out mini eggs. Some of the parents gave us Easter cards anyway. We keep having to explain it to people over and over again!
We are actually back in school for four days and then we're off for Good Friday and Easter Monday ..... followed the next week by Bank Holidays for the Royal Wedding and May Day.
We only have eight teaching days in April!
It's ideal for me this year, breaking up my work into little chunks with lots of time to rest in between ... but for those pupils and teachers working towards exams it's not very satisfactory at all.
Even worse ... adjacent authorities are not all following the same plan ... leaving families who attend (or work) in different areas, in a right mess! For example .... we work in Liverpool, but our children attended Wirral schools. Luckily my son finished school last year, so we're not affected, but I know lots of people who have different terms than their children.
Unbelievable!

Oh and I thought we were breaking up too early this year!!!! We break up this Friday whereas normally we would break up one or two days before Good Friday.
ReplyDeleteWe break up 8 April and don't go back until the Tuesday after Easter, then we have Friday off for the Royal Wedding and of course the Monday for May Day. I thought this was bad enough but your area is even worse.
Around here we are supposed to be in a pyramid of schools and have holidays that are the same but we often have TEDs that are different, which is awkward for parents who have children in both Primary and Secondary Schools.
The people who think these ideas up are paid a lot of money for doing the task!!!!!!! Makes you think!!!
I was wondering Kathy, how long your school year is? Massachusetts law states we have to be in school 180 days. Are you guys close to that number? You seem to have more time off than us, but then again I'm not sure when your school year begins. We are looking forward to our one week off in April. YEAH!!!
ReplyDeleteIt does seem a bit mad doesn't it?! My niece and nephew in the midlands have different holidays to the Norfolk schools so it looks like we won't be able to get together this Easter. I come from a family of teachers (I was the only one to buck the trend!) so I do know that the long terms can be exhausting but it would be nice if there was some consistency across the country. I'm just glad I don't still have to find child care given the amount of holidays and bank hols in the next couple of months! Enjoy your break, hope you feel a bit revived after your 'not-Easter' hols! x
ReplyDeleteThat is confusing! They did the same thing here - changed it to a two week "Spring Break" - sort of the last two weeks of March, and then they will be off for the four day Easter long weekend. It doesn't impact me any more though and I'm glad it works out OK for you too. Everyone else can fend for themselves ;) Enjoy your holiday time.
ReplyDeleteThe kids must be beside themselves with glee....8 days of school in April! Woo Hoo!
ReplyDeleteWe have been out scavengering for photos and having fun!!
Wyatt
Nice April work schedule! Our schools are off April 18-22 and resume back on the 25th. Which I never liked. When I was in school we always had Easter Monday off . . .
ReplyDeleteGoodness, talk about confusing and difficult for some of the parents. Our schools have another week yet before they break up.
ReplyDeletewe finish this friday but over at my mums (leicester) they have another week to go and have easter in the middle of their holiday like usual! totally confusing! does mean i get a couple of days at home after easter when my lad is back to school to try and spring clean!
ReplyDeleteIt's a nightmare this year.I know one family were Harriet is off for 2 weeks now but mum teaches in a neighbouring authority which have the following 2 weeks.Another couple of teachers have totally different weeks off so can't get away.what a mess.
ReplyDeleteWe have another week to go. School starts back for only 2 days and then we are off for the long bank hol weekend again. I know some schools in our county are not bothering to open for those 2 days at all. Also, lots of families are booking holidays to take advantage of all the extra days off so I think it will be wuite quiet for those 2 days.
ReplyDeleteHave a good break!
I noticed that you had half term earlier than everybody else too. Wierd. xx
ReplyDeleteup in Sunderland we don't break up until the 15th April for 2 weeks .... it's not surprising we don't know if we are coming or going !
ReplyDeleteIt does seem very confusing and very difficult for those parents with children in different schools in other areas. Our schools break up here on Friday 8th April and go back on 26th and then I guess they have a long weekend straight after. Hope you are having a restful break:)
ReplyDeleteOh gosh what a muddle.
ReplyDeleteAm same as COuntry Girl (our children are at the same schools). Break up on Friday, one back on 26th and other on 27ths. Then a long weekend for the wedding/bank holiday. Plus little son is away this week on a school trip. He has just 4 school days in April!
How confusing. It must be a nightmare for families where both parents work fulltime.
ReplyDeleteMy kids thought they had this too but they actually break up on Friday coming have two weeks ending with Easter which is torchre for Joe waiting for his chocolate egg !
ReplyDeleteIt's the same up here, kids off now back to school then off briefly for Easter. I just don't understand it, call me old fashioned, they'll me messing about with Christmas next.
ReplyDeleteThat is confusing to have an Easter break before it is even Easter. But at least you get the royal wedding off ... that is pretty cool :)
ReplyDeleteOur schools have the same holidays as you, eight days in school in total in April, my kids think it's great.
ReplyDeleteHOW STRANGE! Great to have the teacj=hing time broken into thr little chunks though. Enjoy! Ros
ReplyDeleteWe finsh on the 8th and go back on the 26th, in fact it is a full 4 Mondays off in a row!! The tutors will have alot to catch up with before whit week!!
ReplyDeleteHave a good time off.
I got one photo in the bag yesterday April Showers!!!
Jan
I noticed that your half term was a week early too - or rather mine was a week late compared to usual so I guess the late Easter has messed things up all over the place!
ReplyDeleteI've been looking forward to this month and only 8 school days! In the Staffordhsire Moorlands we break up this Friday for two weeks so go back on 26th and of course get the 29th off. Lots of time for photo scavenging this month :)
I hope you are beginning to feel better after a few days off. I've been feeling a bit off too, I always feel really ready for holidays when they come round.