Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Saturday, 14 August 2010

A Postcard from Portmeirion ...

    On Tuesday I had an early appointment, so we were able to have a 'day out'.
We headed to North Wales, first stopping at Betwys-y-Coed for a little stroll by the river.
My trusty picnic basket had an outing too
....we chose to eat at the highest picnic bench ever
and  laughed ....
as even Mr. B.'s legs dangled above the floor.
We visited the Rob Piercy gallery at Porthmadog ...
full of beautiful paintings of my husband's beloved mountains ...
we 'll need a lottery win to afford an original
so we bought a gorgeous coffee table book instead ...
Finally, we headed off to our main destination ...
Portmeirion
well spotted to all those lovely bloggers
who recognised it on my post on Wednesday!!!

For those of you who are not familiar with the place,
it's a popular tourist village designed by
Sir Clough Williams-Ellis
in the style of an Italian village.
It is probably most famous as the location of
'The Prisoner' TV series in the sixties
It's also the home of Portmeirion pottery
The skies were foreboding when we paid our entrance fee
and we expected rain ..
... but within minutes the sun was out and the sky was deep blue ...
The village is a collection of pretty, brightly painted houses,
shops and cafes....
There are gardens and a woodland walk...
.. but our favourite part is down on the front ...
....where you can walk to the lighthouse
... and step down to the beach
We took off our shoes and walked
across the warm sands and through the clear waters
of Black Rock Sands
Despite everything that's going on right now
I felt a surge of genuine happiness ....
   There are some moments in our lives
that will be remembered for ever!

8 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh that is such a lovely post! How nice to know you are experiencing some happy moments at this difficult time. Thanks for sharing your beautiful pics they brought back memories :)
    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at the deep blue colour of the sky, lovely day out for you both.
    I've always liked the china, would like to visit one day.
    Mr P.P's dangly legs made me giggle!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a beautiful day. I went years ago to Portmeirion, I remember losing the glass from my posh watch on that beach, isn't it funny what memories come back to you years later?! I'm glad you had a special day to be remembered. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are getting a nice day out at the moment, the day looked perfect!
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures though I have to admit my legs tend to do the same or should I say my feet 'never' touch the floor when I'm sat down - not even on the toilet!! Hope that wasn't too much info??

    Nina xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned in life that sometimes, something is sent to stop you in your tracks and make you slow down and look at the lovely things in your life - and your post today reminded me of this. Things dont always go the way you want, or plan - but if life goes ok, then all is well. You look really lovely Kathy - and really well too!
    PS read all you posts that Ive missed - Happy Birthday to the 18 year old!!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos of your day - I thought the dangly legs were a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've loved reading this post - Portmeirion is wonderful - especially down on the estuary - it is a perfect place for a perfect day out. That day is going to cheer you up every time you remember it. I love the china - I'm lucky to live a twenty minute walk from one of their three factory shops here:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails