Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Wednesday, 18 August 2010

A favourite piece of art

Radiotherapy ~ Day 16 (9:15)
For sheer impact I have chosen Les Nympheas ~ Monet's Water Lilies which fill the stunning oval room at the Musee de l'Orangerie in Paris. Their scale is simply breathtaking.
On our very first trip here when our daughter was small, we bought a lovely little book in the gift shop. It tells the story of a little girl who is taken to visit Monet's garden in Giverney.
Up until then, I hadn't realised the garden was still there. We put it on our list of places to visit. We finally got there on a visit to Paris to celebrate my 50th birthday!
We spent a whole day in this magical garden ....which has been beautifully preserved and is faithfully planted according to Monet's plans. There are wonderful plants to see in every month of the year. We went in August!
The big pink house has been meticulously restored and you can have a glimpse into the rooms once occupied by Monet and his family ... the yellow kitchen is fabulous!
And best of all, we got to stand on the famous green bridge!

6 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I've always wanted to visit Monet's Garden - I've seen the waterlillies in Paris and I remember queuing for about 3 hours to see a Monet exhibition at the Royal Academy many years ago - I love Monet's paintings and hope that one day I may visit the garden - thanks for sharing the lovely photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely paintings! I use two or three of his garden paintings as stimuli for artwork in the classroom. The children always spot little details that I've not noticed before. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so beautiful..I would love to visit there one day.That Clifford T Ward song.. on your last post... it's one of my favourites too.Funny how music can have that effect on you.I get teary when I hear certain songs now..soppy I know!

    Bellaboo :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photos are stunning. It looks like such a tranquil place. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a magical place to go to. Such beauty.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my list too - not managed a visit yet. Your photos look stunning. xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails