Yesterday I nipped along to the Creative Stitches and Hobbycraft Show at Aintree, not because I needed any craft materials, but because I wanted to see 'Above and Below the Waves'. It's an international knitting project designed by Alison Murray who is a textile artist from Devon, and features a huge 3D underseas tunnel, complete with waves, cliffs, beach, mermaids, jellyfish and a very realistic fisherman..... plus every underseas creature you could imagine. Every single item has been knitted over the past two years. Words can't describe how wonderful it is .... so I'll just show you my photographs.
Look how big it is ... whole families were inside!
The project is raising money for the RNLI, and is touring the country this year.....
do try to catch it if you can!





This is pretty amazing! At first I thought you were shooting a tiny little table top display; I can't even imagine how much work this would take!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! That is fantastic!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful, fun and colorful tour! I imagine you had a great time! Enjoy your Sunday! Anne
ReplyDeleteNow that is cool , I don't think many people appreciate the work that goes into something like this . A friend of mine helps out with lots of things like this and so far they have done a knitted boat , victorian christmas and are now doing famous works of art. It's all very clever isn't it.
ReplyDeleteThat's wonderful, Kathy thanks for sharing your photos. What a lot of hard work and great imagination has gone into it. I love the lighthouses:)
ReplyDeleteWow, it looks wonderful. What a lot of work must have gone in to it. I'll see if I can catch it whilst it's touring.
ReplyDeleteIt looks wonderful. Who would have thought of a knitted sea world! I do like the fisherman most of all!!! x
ReplyDeleteOh it's lovely. My favourite element is all of the different shades and textures making up the background. I would love to see this in real life. Will have to look up where it is touring to.
ReplyDeleteKathryn
I can't believe how much detail there is in all this, I was proud of my knitted dalek but this is just stunning - I so long to get back to creative things. I loved the little seagulls and the jellyfish! xx
ReplyDeleteHow lovely, thanks Kathy for sharing that!! I will try to go and see it somewhere - not sure where yet!!!! xxx
ReplyDeleteWow I thought from looking at the first couple of photos it was small, thanks for telling us about it, I'll see if its coming near us.
ReplyDeleteJan
That is simply stunning!!! Ive been to a food fair today - I think you may win the first half stone contest! I got weighed yesterday morning so I am declaring my first half stone from that point. Dont hold your breath! xx
ReplyDeleteI love the old fisherman and the mermaid...well all of it how fantastic! I will keep an eye out for it locally.
ReplyDeletexxx
Wow that's amazing - what a lot of work! Thanks for sharing - will have to look into the tour and see if its coming anywhere near me. x
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! That is really beautiful and truly amazing! Must find out where it is travelling too. Thanks for sharing the photos. I can't stop looking. It's fabulous. Have a good week. Ros
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is GOOD GRIEF! What a lot of knitting!
ReplyDeleteWow that's amazing, so much work....
ReplyDeleteLizzie
xxx
My mum was at the exhibition yesterday and came home full of tales of how wonderful this was. She didn't take any pictures though, so thank you so, so much for sharing these. It's fantastic!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so cool! Thanks for sharing :-)
ReplyDelete~Val
Oh yes that looks amazing.Lesley x
ReplyDeleteWow, how clever to knit a whole exhibition. My favourite pieces are the mermaid and the seaguls, thanks for sharing, Lucey x
ReplyDeleteIncredible ! I'd love to see this. I loke the fisherman & the mermaid best.
ReplyDeletebeautiful!
ReplyDeleteThose photos are amazing! I love the nautical look :)
ReplyDeleteCould you email me your address please as I've got my button swap items ready!
prettypetalhandmade@live.co.uk
Thanks so much!
Rhi x
That's amazing - I love the pirates:)
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful, I especially like the mermaid! Thanks for sharing this great post. It's truly amazing what talented people are around us.
ReplyDeleteMary
Oh my gosh! That is amazing! Lucky lucky you to see it in person! Thanks so much for taking such great photos and sharing them :D
ReplyDeleteWaggin at ya,
Roo