Last summer, when I was in the middle of all my treatments, a friend gave me a voucher for an afternoon tea to be taken at a choice of hotels. I just never got round to using it then, as life was so hectic at the time, and I sort of forgot all about it. Recently I noticed that the expiry date was April, and as I am rather partial to an afternoon tea, I made plans! I couldn't really imagine the lovely Mr. B. sipping tea from dainty china cups and nibbling tiny sandwiches, so I waited until my lovely girl could come along instead.
We chose to go to a cosy little hotel in Southport, which is a bit of a trek for us, but we were so glad we did! The service was second to none, and everything was so beautifully presented. The Victorians certainly knew what they were doing when the started this lovely tradition, although we were told that they used to eat it straight after lunch, and then have a very large meal in the evening too.
If I did that every day I'd end up looking like this .... thankfully this is only an image in the House of Mirrors which was near Southport Pier
I much preferred this mirror, which made us very tall and super skinny! Oh to have legs like this!
I haven't been to Southport for years, and had forgotten just what a pleasant little seaside town it is! Here's some things that caught my eye ...
A traditional bucket and spade shop
A new road bridge over the marine lake. It wasn't here last time I came.
The entrance to the pier was very busy ... everyone making the most of the first warm day of the year.
Every seaside town I know has covered shelters to protect you from the elements!
Art Deco lanterns on Lord Street
It also has some lovely shopping areas like this covered arcade
Favourite shop? Had to be this one which did indeed sell books and shells and much more!
We could have spent all day in there .... three floors like this.Wonderful!
So, a big thank you to Alex, without her gift I wouldn't have dreamt of going across to Southport for a grand day out!




Thanks so much for sharing this day out with your daughter :) What a special time you had! Beautiful photos which add to the whole idea of a day away ~ because of such a thoughtful gift :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a nice gift from you friend.
ReplyDeleteThat bridge is almost the same as the road bridge in Ironbridge! Love the photo of the tea cup.
I wish I was that thin!
Have just finshed March's Scavenger hunt there's a post on George's blog about it.
Have a good week
Jan and George
What lovely photos of a lovely day. I just adore the shelter, it's pretty with the arch shaped windows and wrought iron.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had fun.
Anne xx
Wow, that looks fabulous what a treat. It's all in the presentation isn't it and that's the best presentation I've ever seen. Might just have to copy it's also about having the right little pots aswell, Lucey xx
ReplyDeleteI love old victorian seaside towns, that looks really nice. I especially like the covered shelter, very genteel.Glad you had a good day.
ReplyDeleteGillx
It's ages since we visited Southport and I thought it was a lovely old fashioned seaside town then - glad to see it hasn't changed. Your afternoon tea looks wonderful what a lovely gift to enjoy. I think I'd have spent a lot of time in that book shop too:)
ReplyDeleteLooks like Southport has a lot to offer a day tripper. The tea looks fab and I love a good bucket and spade shop!
ReplyDeleteLisa x
Ive never been to SOuthport - I'll have to make an excuse to go. Glad you had a lovely day out - it does look grand xxxx
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day out! Tea looks fab in the hotel, so pretty and delicious!
ReplyDeleteBee happy x
Have a delicious day!
Wonderful lovely and fun photos! :D
ReplyDeleteCan't help but follow your tail ;)
Waggin at ya,
Roo
What a lovely day out. I bet you went home happy.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Hiya, looks like a fab trip. Can you message me your address please as I have all your swap stuff ready :-)
ReplyDeleteA wonderful day out! Lovely food and shops too! I would have loved to have gone into the books and shells shop. I like both!
ReplyDeleteThat was definitely worth waiting for, looks like you had the best time.
ReplyDeleteYay, you went to Parkinsons. I absolutely love that place.
ReplyDeleteYour afternoon tea looks rather swanky - glad you enjoyed it.
Wow, what a lovely day with your daughter! I love going to tea, and it looks like you hit the jackpot of afternoon teas! Have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteA VERY GRAND DAY outing! I love the looks of that tea time:)
ReplyDeleteOh my, what a wonderful afternoon!!
ReplyDeleteI love Southport and sometimes go with my mum to the flower show at the end of summer. What a lovely day you had and spending time with your daughter too.
ReplyDeletelove
Lyn
xxx
What a lovely treat. Know what you mean about life being hectic or not being able to think about good things like tea. Isn't it nice to be able to step back and relax for a little while. x
ReplyDeleteI love spending time with my daughter when she is home from school too. Maybe we will have to try a tea some time. I love the glass covered areas to keep everyone dry when there is a sudden rain storm.
ReplyDeleteAh, would love to go to this Southport bookshop! Sounds like I could spend the whole day in that shop ;)
ReplyDelete