Last weekend we boarded the Mersey Ferry at Woodside,
on a bright, but bitterly cold afternoon,
and we crossed the water.
Our destination was the Pier Head at Liverpool, which is a World Heritage Site.
But we hadn't just come to see the stunning waterfront this time, because a special visitor had returned home.
The Royal Navy destroyer H.M.S. Liverpool had sailed into port for a final trip before it is de-comissioned next year.
So many people had braved the elements to come and take a look.
This is the 7th ship to bear the name HMS Liverpool. She is a type 42 destroyer and has some pretty impressive kit on board. She was deployed to the Persian Gulf during the Iraq war, but often acts as an escort to flagship of the fleet ..... The Ark Royal
Now, I don't know anything at all about warships, but it looked pretty impressive to me.... although surprisingly small.
This ship was built on the Mersey at the Cammell Lairds shipyards in Birkenhead, which can still be seen from the ferry.
Although ships are no longer made here now, there is still a thriving business of ship repair.... and the flight deck for a new aircraft carrier is being constructed inside this huge building.....
After a quick coffee and cake at the Ferry terminal building we caught the next ferry home, and stayed inside for the sail home. I'd never been so cold in my life! Mr B. spent the whole afternoon moaning about the weather .. and I think "you only want photos for your blooming blog" was muttered a few times!
Still, it was nice to see a piece of Liverpool's naval heritage before she vanishes along with all the other cuts that are happening now.
Sometimes we forget that Liverpool has such a long maritime history and massive connections with the sea. I think it's because the Mersey doesn't flow through the city like rivers often do in other places ... (like the Thames and the Tyne) and we don't see it unless we take a trip down to the Pier Head..... but my goodness when you do its history is all around you!



Tell the grumpy old man that I appreciate you suffering for your art (of blogging). Your pictures are great. I must put a trip to Liverpool on my list for this year. I would have loved a nosey around the warship too. xxxx
ReplyDeletelovely pictures. It's nice that you saw this ship before it is nomore.
ReplyDeleteGillx
How interesting. I remember the Ark Royal visiting Malta one year we were there. One of the officers was staying in our hotel and my dad got chatting to him and asked if as an ex marine he, and the rest of us, could have a tour. The officer was probably taken aback by my dad's cheek and agreed. It was really interesting being shown around, and also taken below deck, something I'll always remember.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you managed to capture material for the blog!!! I like the look of ships and boats but I have no desire to travel on them!!! x
ReplyDeleteYour adventure out into the cold was well worth it. Very interesting post. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWonderful photos, I love the huge bell. Have a lovely weekend x
ReplyDeleteThanks for the pics...it's been a long time since I took a ferry cross the Mersey and seen Liver building...sigh:)
ReplyDeleteMaybe we could meet up in Liverpool next time Kathy with Diane?
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures, Thankyou to your Hubby for putting up with you as you take photos to entertain us!
I love the ship's bell.
love
Lyn
xxx
Great post! I love that area of Liverpool and all its history. I know nothing about warships either, but they do look so impressive when you see them for real. Shame it was so cold. Hope you have a lovely weekend! Ros
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking us with you! The only time I remember being in Liverpool was when I was 7 years old, a good many years ago. When you mentioned the ferry I googled it so I could envision the location. What I became fascinated with, as well as your tour of the warship, was the history of the Mersey ferries! They've been in operation for over 800 years... fascinating read on Wikipedia.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersey_Ferry