Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Sunday, 23 January 2011

A Walk to Devil's Gorge

Out for a brisk walk on a miserable Saturday morning with the sun refusing to shine, we ended up at Loggerheads just outside Mold. 
We've haven't been here for ages, but do we know it very well, because we have both taken countless school parties for walks along here when we've stayed at Colomendy Field Study Centre just over the road. 
If you went to school in Liverpool you've probably been Colomendy at some stage in your life. 
I first went when I was 10, then 14 and then so many times as a teacher. (I can honestly say, the accommodation and food for teachers was no better than it was for the children!) Recently the centre closed down for a few years, but has just been taken over by a new company, refurbished and re-opened. Our Year Fives and Sixes are going along there in a few weeks time.... it'll be interesting to see how it's changed.
This popular path runs alongside the River Alyn, and is known as the Leete. The path follows a long man made channel which was built in 1823 to provide running water for the lead mines. They needed water to run the watermills and water pumps. The river, although looking full today, is prone to vanish in dry times down swallow holes in the limestone bedrock,  and couldn't be relied on.
There are a series of old lead mines along the way, now all boarded up for 'health and safety' .... I've been into all of these mines and so have lots of children (our own included) ... always exciting to go a little way into a dark places and listen for echoes.

The biggest of the mines is called Devil's Gorge ... it's a very steep limestone gorge which has been blown out of the hillside by dynamite in the search for lead. Today the miners have long gone and it's popular with climbers instead.
Inca was a bit nervous on the bridge ... and was glad to get off it ... strange dog!

You can scramble down a steep path near here and walk a little way into the mine ... but not today, it was too slippery.
We found the old tunnel that goes under the path, all the children have scrambled through here too ... I don't suppose you would be allowed to do it these days!!!
There's a very nice tea gardens at the end of the walk, and a little visitor centre too. 
Not today, though, it was so cold and damp we scurried back to the car for a warm!



10 comments:

  1. That looks lovely. I grew up in Llandudno, then lived in Chester and I did not know it existed. Will have to visit it next time we go back. Thanks for showing it
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. You grew up in Liverpool? So did I, although my school took us to Pwhelli rather than Colomendy. I love the look of those willow fences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were there yesterday as well!!But in the afternoon.S came over with Emily and they and C went to Theatr Clwyd to see "Mole in a Hole".M and Ruby joined us in the afternoon and we went walking along the Leete,playing pooh sticks on the way and ending up in the cafe for hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good day out. Mr JK and keep meaning to get out and about a bit more in our local area. You often ignore what's right on your doorstep! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely walk but lots better in the summer I'd imagine! How strange that Inca was nervous on the bridge, maybe she could feel some movemnet in it? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Inca, I don't like bridges either, especially if they're high. I bet the walk blew the cobwebs away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely place for the children to spend some time. I thinks it great that you still let the children go on residentials. So many schools seem to have stopped. We still go. Years 4,5 and 6 spend time away each year. Hope you have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  8. an intersting walk, the lead mine look a bit claustrophobic though. i once visited one in Dumfrieshire it was quite eerie.

    good to see Inca :o)

    wishing you a lovely weekend xxx

    millie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe had a fabulous residential school trip to Caslteton in the peak district as it is so very different to here in the South of England. They loved it but I've heard they changed the trip location now as it was such a long coach journey.

    That looks a fabulous place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting walk. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails