Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Durham

There are phases of your life when you do something over and over again ....
and then just as suddenly you stop doing that thing ....
That's how it is with me and Durham ....  for three years I drove up and down motorways and across country, ferrying my lovely girl to and from the uni. 
Sometimes I just went up to visit .... a three and a half hour drive ... lunch ... and then a three and a half hour drive home again!

I haven't been back since she graduated in 2008 ... until this weekend.

It was lovely visiting the wonderful cathedral again ... and this time taking photographs of some of its nooks and crannies.
As always, we finished up in Saddler's for lunch .... an old favourite ...
... and succumbed to a plate of the curliest fries to eat with our paninis ... we really shouldn't have!

17 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics. Durham is lovely we went at the last Bank Holiday and it was lovely - lunch in the Cathedral is nice and while there we always light a candle for my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and why on earth not, everything in moderation.....durham looks fab, hope to get there one day soon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to Durham.I must put it on my "to do " list.It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very sure you were glad you did though!
    Lots of interesting photos, that why I love blogging.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. l love Durham and have been there many times.x lynda

    ReplyDelete
  6. The architecture is stunning - and that IS the biggest plate of curly fries!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely to go back. I took my children on a whistle stop day in Brighton where I used to work.. now need to go back & DO IT ALL SLOWLY !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Durham is a lovely place. Ive only been once but I loved it. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful campus! It looks like you had a lovely day and a fantastic lunch! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only been to Durham once to visit the Cathedral on our way up to Beamish Museum. I've alwasy wanted to return. It is a beautiful place:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmm, those curly fries look delicious, I wouldn't have been able to resist either. I've only been to Durham once and that was when I was twelve or thirteen, with school. We visited the cathedral and I can still remember it to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. popped back to tell you there is an award waiting for you on my blog !

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I think of Durham it reminds me of that song 'I'm going to leave old Durham town',but I can't remember who sung it! Nice to visit old haunts and remenisce.It looks like a beautiful place to visit. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi thanks for commenting over at mine, sad day for us here meg was the runt of the litter when we got her at 7 weeks old she has been a super dog for us...i will so miss her singing (howling)with me when i sing THE CARPENTERS songs as she loved to do that often!bless her,pip our 6 month old pup has been looking for her all over the house tonight..lets hope she settles down ...xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know Durham well, both my two graduated there, one in 2007 the other 2009. Isn't it a wonderful ceremony in the Cathedral....makes you feel very proud!
    You must try Vennels coffee shop up the alley way on the opposite side of the road to Sadlers next time you visit....lovely cakes.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Durham is a lovely city and your photos do it credit. My friend's son has just started uni there, he is loving it and they are loving visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Durham has a lovely cathedral, and your pictures are great. Even though I used to live in Northumberland, not too far from Newcastle Upon Tyne I only ever remember actually walking around Durham City once!!! That's really bad isn't it? Perhaps I should make the effort to go again when I am on holiday in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails