Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Monday, 22 November 2010

Weekend Treat - Number 2

I've being trying to pack in lots of lovely treats before I go back to work fully, because I'll probably be too tired then, to go gallivanting at weekends.
Our first treat was Paris last weekend ... this weekend I wrapped up warmly, and caught an early train to Newcastle, to spend some time with my lovely girl. The weather was cold and wet but the North Eastern welcome was so warm it didn't really matter what the weather was doing. Everyone is so friendly there, (but I think that's a northern thing generally!)
We needed to be indoors but didn't want to spend all our time shopping as it was so, so busy! I think everyone had suddenly realised that Christmas is coming and had headed to the High street.
We went to look at the superb new library, where you could spend hours reading the windows in the viewing gallery at the top of the building. When it was being built they asked the local people four questions:
What makes you happy?
What would you change?
What do you fear?
What gives you hope?

Their answers are now displayed on butterflies on the windows! I could have read them for hours ... it was fascinating.
I might pinch that idea for a school display or even a blog post!

We then headed across the road to the Laing Art Gallery. I love provincial art galleries ... you don't get exhausted wandering around and they often have hidden gems. This one had a number of lovely Pre-Raphaelite paintings that I hadn't seen before. Lovely!
Next stop, Fenwicks Food Hall. Now, we don't have a Fenwicks locally, and I know there's one in York, but this Newcastle store is a treat.... especially the Food Hall. We loved the bottles of oils and dressings that you could decant into fancy bottles.
I've seen wine and olive oil sold like this in France, but never here.
It is traditional to visit Fenwicks window display at Christmas time, and sure enough there was a huge queue to peep inside the magical scenes. ... we couldn't get near but much later that evening we were passing and there wasn't a child in sight! The downside is that the animations had been switched off ... so the photos are dark ... but it gives a little flavour of a traditional approach to Christmas. We used to have similar displays in a large department store in Liverpool, but they're long gone now!
Apologies for the poor photos
Much later, we scared ourselves silly watching the new Harry Potter film at a lovely independent cinema with the comfiest seats ever!
Seriously, we found the film really frightening - definitely not one for little ones!
Next morning we visited the Tynemouth Station Vintage market and spent a pleasant time wandering round looking for treasures ... except it was truly freezing!!!! I did manage to find a few pretty things but they're tucked away for Christmas!

Another Tynemouth treat is the Land of Green Ginger, which is a converted church filled with lovely little shops ...
My lovely girl fancied this striking hat, to go with her 'fur' coat which used to be my mum's in the 1970's.
I enjoyed this place ... a shop which sells everything you might need for cake making ... edible glitter, cupcake cases and so on. I want a dresser like this!














All too soon it was time to leave, but not until we'd had a tasty snack to fortify me on my four hour journey!
Mmmm ... this was just the thing!

I'm looking forward to another treat next weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely lovely time you both had. The Library windows look great. I suppose it is a sign of the times not to have too much lighting & animation powered, but Christmas windows are so special ( not in October though! )
    I can't wait to se the new HP film - I saw the first again the other day. We will probably all go together which will be great.

    At the end of the first one, Joe quite young then, called out " When is the next one?" and the whole audience fell about laughing. Well Joe - the last one is here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh such a lovely weekend! I haven't had a treat like that for years! I love the look of all those oils and dressings and the market and the 'snack' and the wonderful library too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A girlie weekend.great fun.I think S and I colud do with one of those.My brother in law has a house in Jesmond and always trns up at xmas with Fenwicks bags of goodies.
    What will it be next weekend?It's Harrogate for us and the Knitting and Stitching show-weather permitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there! What a wonderful way to spend the weekend. You certainly packed in a variety of lovely things to do. Such special times! Hve a good week. Ros and Oscar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a fab weekend - I am ashamed tod say I only live an hour a way from Newcastle and havent been for over 15 years!!! Nearest I've been is the MetroCentre - do you know is that market on every weekend???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a full weekend you had. Extra fun I sure when you spend it with your daughter. The shop with the bottles of oil looks neat. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased you had a great time.All looks so lovely. Take care Lesley.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting and exciting weekend with lots of lovely things to see and do with your daughter. There is a shop at Trentham Gardens near where we live called Vom Fass which sells oils and etc in that way. I'm looking forward to seeing the next Harry Potter - we don't like the huge cinema complex so are waiting for it to come to the little cinema at our local museum over the Christmas holidays. Glad you had a great time:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another jam packed weekend, you did go to lots of lovely places for a bit of Christmas shopping, better than the normal high street stores.
    Love the shop windows ar Christmas, that reindeer is so sweet.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for letting me know when the market is on xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a great weekend and a lovley lovely treat. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails