Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Saturday, 27 February 2010

Postcard from Capri

Last Italy blog ... I promise.
I need to settle back into the real world again. You know, the one with work and rain and cold and washing and ironing ....
Off to Capri today.... we were surprised at the size of the boat that came into the harbour. This was a car ferry too ...I wish I'd taken photos of the collection of vehicles that came rolling off .... because the streets of Capri are so narrow normal cars can't really get around, so they use buggies and cars and vans built on scooter frames.


Unfortunately lots of Capri looked like this .... empty cafes
...and closed shops. The season doesn't get going until Easter and lots of repairs and alterations are going on.

The smell of fresh paint pervaded the air.
We decided to walk to Villa Jovis ... the remains of the palace built by Emperor Tiberius, from where he ruled Rome for the last 11 years of his life. It was a hard brisk walk for about 45 minutes, mostly uphill but passing through orange and lemon groves and we admired  lots of amazing villas and gardens.


When we finally got to the top ... horror of horrors the gate was firmly locked!
Well, nothing stops Mr. B. - especially after such a long walk - so he climbed over the wall and then found an easier way for me to get in ( through the garden and up a steep slope).
Readers ... we broke in!!! Please don't tell anyone!
We trespassed our way around the (thankfully) deserted ruins ...

The views from the cliffs were unbelievable with sheer drops all around.

In the days of Tiberius we would have been caught, and hurled from the highest point ... a punishment he reserved for his enemies .... and unsatisfactory lovers!


Back to Capri town, where we found lovely arcades and courtyards


At last he big white boat returned to take us home ... by this time it was freezing and we were glad to get back on board

The twinkling lights of Capri ... a lovely, lovely place - but go when it's a bit warmer!


P.S. My lovely girl is home for the weekend .... so I'm looking forward to doing some girly things ... a bit of shopping in Chester, a nice long lunch and maybe a trip to the cinema.

8 comments:

  1. What an adventurous day you had on Capri!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend with your daughter.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely pics - making me really want to go there! Hope you have a lovely day today - I think that is what I will miss I have 2 boys who hate shopping - how can they when days like the one you will have sounds fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it all looks so wonderful - thanks for sharing your holiday photos and adventures with us. Hope you had a super day shopping and lunching with your daughter:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your postcards from Italy have been lovely. I think I would prefer to go when it is warmer, but you see more when there are no crowds. My sister went to a wedding in Positano - it looks gorgeous. Ive seen a blog (called figs and lemons) written by a brit living in Pos - google it and have a read. So glad the broken heart is on the mend. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I was back to work one day after we returned from our trip to Australia, and I have only just got to the bottom of our cases! I suppose the rough comes with the smooth. Thank goodness you didn't come across security when you paid your visit to the remains! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Italy posts. I would love to wander through an orange grove right now..........x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing trip. As I am new to your blog, I will have to take some time and look through your other posts. Thanks for visiting me over at my blog. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that looks fantastic!!! I love Italy, but i've nerver been to Capri!! Looks like I must!!!
    Thank you for sharing your lovely memories!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails