As soon as we arrived at the ruins of Pompei we were hassled by guides touting for business, offering to show us around the site at a cost of 50 euros. When we said we'd take our chances on our own one guide warned us that we would be walking in darkness .... for three weeks!
Well, we had a town plan and a guide book ... and Mr. B is very good at reading maps so off we went "into the darkness".
We managed really well, and saw everything we wanted to see and more .... the site is vast. We explored the narrow streets for hours. I hadn't really imagined that there would be so much. We've been round the Roman remains at Chester and Vaison-la-Romaine in France, but nothing compared to this.
I've taught 'The Romans' in our history topics at school so it was great to see the things from our text books come alive.
I was particularly pleased to see this famous mosaic: "Beware of the Dog"
We were surprised to see lots of real live dogs sleeping in the ruins. We found out that they were wild dogs who live there, but there is an official programme to look after them and keep them all well fed. They looked plump and contented. We found a feeding station and kennels nearby.
It would be dramatic to say that we walked around with the great shadow of Vesuvius looming over us, but it was such a cloudy day we couldn't see it at all. Days later when the volcano finally appeared on a clear,sunny day we were shocked to see how close it actually is to Naples.
I wouldn't like to living along that coast when Vesuvius blows its top again .....
Looks as if you have had a wondeful time, Kathy. I've enjoyed reading both your posts about your visit to Italy - seems as if this is the best time to go if you don't like heat and crowds - I'd love to see Pompei so thanks for the photos; are there stray cats as well as dogs? Glad to hear they are fed and watered and look content:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fanscinating place to visit.
ReplyDeleteLisa x