Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Saturday, 17 December 2011

Io Saturnalia

The Ancient Romans celebrated Saturnalia on December 17th to mark the winter solstice.

It was a festival of great feasting and fun, gift giving and carnival. Revellers got a bit tipsy!
Greenery was brought indoors to decorate the home.
It lasted for 8 days and finished on December 25th!  Fancy that!!!



In Chester this week we watched the Roman legion marching through town, shouting loudly to chase away the dark days of winter. Great fun!

8 comments:

  1. No what a co-incidence that date is!!! I fancy of a bit of feasting myself.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah that was the reason I was out celebrating last night then!! Wonder how I can link a roman celebration with a chinese christmas meal feast??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't seen your festive page until now...I love that Santa and sleigh! Merry Christmas,
    Bunny Mummy! Hugs, Petunia Pill

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of that celebration! I like it! I also like the 8 day celebration part . . . LOL!!! Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have loved to see the Roman soldiers - Chester is a lovely and very interesting city, I haven't been there for several years now though. I knew Saturnalia was in December but always thought it was around the 21st so I've learnt something from your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to have seen that! I must try and remember for next December. It seems ages since we were last in Chester - I always enjoy visiting:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails