Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Sunday, 31 October 2010

It's not the same ...

I love hallowe'en, but when your children are all grown it's no fun any more. 
I bought the tiniest pumpkin for old times sake, and got out the old lantern ...
but it doesn't really work without your children dressing up, ducking for apples and visiting selected neighbours with their friends.
We don't have any littlies near us now, so it will be a very quiet evening watching the wonderful
Downton Abbey on TV.

When I was a child Hallowe'en was so exciting, even though we didn't have any of the wild and wonderful things you can buy in the shops these days. I didn't see a real pumpkin till I was grown up .... we always carved a huge turnip and put a candle in it. There was none of this trick or treating either! We dressed up in my mum's old clothes and made hats from cardboard ... and we did duck apple in a baby bath and tried to bite apples on strings. It didn't cost us much at all and it was so much fun!

I finally managed to see my poor dad today. He's been suffering from shingles for a few weeks and I've been banned from visiting because my immune system has been compromised with the treatment I had over the summer. Hopefully he's over the worst now, so I think the danger has passed.
At 77, he's really had a miserable time! He's really suffered, and is still in pain, although not as bad as it was.
He's lost so much weight as he hasn't felt like eating. My mum can't cope with that ... it's her self appointed role in life to make sure everybody has plenty to eat!!!
It's not like my dad to go 'down' with anything ... he's usually so cheerful and funny, but he's not himself at all. He looks like a shadow of his former self. My mum is not herself either, worrying about him .... and I'm worrying about the pair of them!!!

Such is life!

12 comments:

  1. And I bet they are both worried about you. Halloween is very different to when I was yound too, but the children have such fun all the same.
    Hope you dad and mum are back on track and feeling better and you take care too.
    love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Thankyou for stopping by my blog and for following me too. I have been enjoying reading your blog today, there were some very interesting posts (for instance I didnt know beams and Tudor Houses were not Black and White originally...... and now I do) so I was sorry to return to this post to read your mum and particularly your dad wasnt too well. I know that Shingles is awful and extremely painful as Mr Kittens Grandfather suffered from it. Hopefully your Dad is on the mend now and you and your Mum can stop worrying........ Happy Halloween X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, am thinking VERY Positive Thoughts regarding my Dad and Mom.
    And, of course, for you just because you care so much.
    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel - this summer I really felt sad without littlies to take crabbing etc. I love my teens but I'm missing little people !
    I don't remember trick or treating ever as a child but my children have grown up doing it. I remember the first year when they were old enough to go alone !
    We had quite a few calling last night which was lovely. I don't carve a pumpkin anymore - I used to put one by our gate but someone kicked it down the road one year ( probably the same person who " egged " our elderly neighbours house )

    Your poor dad ! Shingles is awful - I hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are welcome to borrow my 2! they loved their halloween sweetie bags which i had hidden from them till the correct date! they tried scaring each other with bags but tiny just isn't afraid of sweeties! thanks you once again. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appear to have turned into YOUR mother . I like to feed people too! I agree - it was a very poor Halloween for us too. The young man got invited to a party at a friends, and we had to take my daughter to the train station at 6pm - straight from her job, so we missed any visitors we might have had too!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have never done trick or treat since living in France but we used to always be in Wales for Halloween so the boys have had the experience of doing trick or treating there.
    We used to live in Chester - not too far from your neck of the woods
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear your poor Dad, hope he's soon feeling a lot better and your Mum, too! I remember my Mum having shingles when she was about 80 - it was really painful and made her so poorly, like your Dad she was very rarely ill. When I was a child we used to carve a turnip or a swede and put a candle in it - can't remember anything else! We used to go out and about on what we called then mischevious night which I thought was 4th November - but I could be wrong - maybe that was halloween!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry about your dad, it's very hard when parents are ill, shingles is horrid I hear, I hope it's properly gone soon and you can see him more often. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry ot hear about your dad being poorly. Bet you gave him the biggest hug after not being able to see him.
    T didn't want to go out Trick or Treating as he said he was too old, he's 10! Unfortunately he's hit puberty early and he's turned into a self conscious teenager. So difficult for him.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dropped by to say hello...I enjoyed my visit here!
    ~K

    ReplyDelete
  12. We never celebrated Hallowe'en when I was a child so I am making up for it now! I have just bought myself a toffee apple too!!! I hope your Dad makes a swift recovery and that you and your Mum STOP WORRYING!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails