Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Thursday, 7 October 2010

Over the Water

Following on from my previous post, I realised that I hadn't told you that the Ferry doesn't sail from Eastham any more.... long gone in the mists of time.
Are you ready for a history lesson?
The Mersey Ferries have been part of life here since the 12th Century, and the Seacombe ferry was actually mentioned in the Domesday book. There has always been a need  to go 'Over the Water'.
There were ferries at Ince, Seacombe, The Rock, Woodside, Eastham and New Ferry. Over time rowing boats were replaced by sailing boats and then steam ferries in the 19th Century. They all went across from the Wirral to Liverpool, where an incredible floating landing stage was constructed to cope with the massive tidal range.















Until the railway tunnel under the Mersey (built in 1886), the ferries were the only way for people and freight to cross the river. They were used daily for people commuting to work in the City Centre, but they were also used by day trippers from Liverpool going across the water to sample the delights of the Wirral.

When I was a child living in Liverpool, it was so exciting to get the ferry across to New Brighton, which was the 'Blackpool' of the Merseyside area I suppose. There was  an Open Air swimming pool, a fun fair and even a tower! You could go on the beach near the lighthouse ... (I can't imagine what a beach on the Mersey must have been like ... but that's what we did!)



I hope you realise that these photographs are not from the Sixties when I was a child!!!!
Sadly, the Tower burnt down in 1969 .. and I haven't been to New Brighton for years and years. I haven't got a clue what it's like now ... I'm almost frightened to go because it will spoil my happy memories.

Of course, the hey day of the Mersey Ferry has long gone ... the two road tunnels under the Mersey finished them off.  We drive through the tunnel to work every day ( at great cost) and we would no more use a ferry to travel to work, than fly to the moon! In 1950 they carried 30 million people a year, by 1970 only 7 million. One by one they had been closing, and by the 1970's they were really struggling, being kept open only for sentimental reasons after a huge public protest.

It's not all doom and gloom though. The Mersey Ferry is now the show piece of Liverpool's massive tourist industry ... a 'must do' if you visit the city! There are only three boats now, but they are beautifully refurbished ... and there' s only one route ...
Woodside (Birkenhead) ... Liverpool ... Seacombe ... Woodside.

When we were there in the summer, the boat was packed with people, all enjoying a little piece of the Mersey heritage! It was great to see families still doing what I did when I was little.

And, yes they really do play Ferry Across the Mersey as you set sail!
They never did that in the olden days!!!

7 comments:

  1. loving the old postcard pics. hope all is well with you and you can see further than me at present - its very very foggy out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the histroy lesson. This is what I like (among other things) about blogging. You get to know about stuff!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats really interesting Kathy - and with great illustrations!! My mum had the Gerry and the Pacemakers "45" and I thought they were singing "fairy cross the mersey"!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want you to visit New Brighton to give us an update to see if it has changed....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of my childhood! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :0)
    Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had money to travel abroad. After my kids are out of college. Your country is so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've really enjoyed reading both your 'Ferry cross the Mersey' posts. My hubby remembers when he was a child being taken on the ferry to New Brighton by his uncle who worked for the Royal Liver at that time - his uncle also gave him a tour of the wonderful Royal Liver building. I think when we did the trip up the Manchester ship canal from there to Liverpool we travelled on an old mersey ferry called the Snowdrop:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails