Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Monday, 6 September 2010

A Postcard from Ruthin ...

I've spent a few days just resting up, but by the weekend I was ready for an outing. On Tuesday we'd passed throught the lovely little town of Ruthin in North Wales. I thought it deserved a closer look, so that's where we headed. First stop was the Ruthin Craft Centre, where we had a delicious lunch and then we browsed round an exhibition called 'Smile'. It was full of quirky pieces that did, indeed, make us smile.
This sums up fell walking for me, which is why I stick to lower ground!
These little figures were sweet ...
But our favourite was this piece called 'The Upholsterers'...
an old chair was being mended by tiny creatures ...
They reminded us of the Borrowers
This piece amused me too, you could turn the handle ever so slowly and all the figures moved ... great fun!
Ruthin has very old buildings and lovely little shops full of pretty things.
We loved this one...
... but our favourite was this wonderful deli called Leonardo's where we spent a fair bit of money on good things to eat. My home town sadly lacks a deli (we did have one when we first lived here, but it met its demise with the arrival of Tesco ...unforgivable!) so we might be returning in the not so distant future.

5 comments:

  1. Ive never heard of Ruthin - it looks great! I hate Supermarkets for that very reason - they kill off the heart of many a small town. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks a lovely little town. Might just have to add that to my list of places to go which is getting ever longer lol!

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We often pop to Ruthin.The views are spectacular on the way down the hill.You can do a Ruthin town trail which is really interesting.We have lived in N Wales for 30+ years but actually discovered things we hadn't seen before.There are also some good eateries,On the Hill,being one and also abook shop.Yes,I agree with you Kathy,it's a lovely little place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh i would love to go to Ruthin, what a lovely place and i would so love to go to the exhibition for a closer look! i hope you are doing okay Kathy and will you be coming back here to the Lakes any time soon,take care hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have to agree France is wonderful and so different. However I have to say that you have also found a gem in Ruthin. Never been there but definitely going on my 'would like to see' list. I love the exhibition pieces. The chair is my favourite. Those little creatures are fabulous. Do you know the name of the creater?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails