Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Monday, 13 September 2010

A Postcard from Another Place...

One hundred iron men stand and watch the sea ...
water laps around their ankles ..
... but they don't care if they get wet...
... some brave the Mersey and are eerily close to passing boats ...
... all stand on a metal plinth ...
... all are tagged ...
... I wonder what he's thinking?
... this year's must have fashion accessory...
.. what a lonely existence
... well, I couldn't help myself! He's not interested though!
Another Place by Antony Gormley

One hundred iron men installed on Crosby beach at the mouth of the River Mersey, a hugely busy waterway. This is 'over the water' from the Wirral .... on the Liverpool side.
It's has been here for a good few years now, but this was our first visit.
It was only meant to be a temporary installation, but the locals fought a long battle to keep their men ...
And so, they stand there still today, quietly dignified, watching the ships go by.

6 comments:

  1. These should be on every beach in the country. They're fantastic. I have always loved them. I hope to get to see them for real one of these days. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how lovely. We visited Crosby last year and spent ages wandering around the men looking at them from all angles - I think they are wonderful:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too I live so near but have never been .. on my to do list!
    h x

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been meaning to go and see these men for ages.I think it may be a trip for this week as we have got it free-very rare.Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they are wonderful, so ponderous. No wonder the locals wanted to keep them.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to convince hubby to take another trip to Liverpool (our first trip - ages ago - was not all that succesfull). I saw these on Rosies blog a while back - they look very eerie but fascinating. xxx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails