Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Thursday, 4 March 2010

World Book Day

We've been celebrating World Book Day in school today and it's good to know that most of our youngsters still love books and can easily choose a favourite to discuss in class. Horrid Henry is very popular with my 7 year olds.
It made me think about my favourite books:

Throughout my life I have loved to read. My bookshelves are over flowing and our loft is full of my children's books that we couldn't bear to give away. I've loved lots of books, and could easily write lists of those I have enjoyed, but on reflection I think these books are dearest to my heart.
I just loved this book ... I read it over and over again and to this day I can remember everything about it.
When I had my own little girl I tracked it down, and while I loved it all over again, I was disappointed to discover it held no magic for her whatsoever.

A little older, I inherited some well loved books from my auntie ... What Katy Did, Little Women, all the classics which I really enjoyed  ... but the one that stood out for me was The Railway Children. I so wanted to be Bobbie! The only thing that puzzled me was that when they became poor they managed to live in a massive house compared to mine. We must have been very, very poor!
At school we read Pride and Prejudice and as a fifteen year old, I didn't really appreciate it at all. Over the years I have grown to love this book. Jane Austen's wise words and witty characters are wonderful and still hold true today.
I didn't know about this when I was a child myself, but I stumbled upon it as a young teacher. Narnia  holds a very special place in our hearts as both my children were enchanted by the tales of Aslan. I think my daughter 'grew' up in Narnia as she could quote the dialogue word perfect when watching the superb BBC series.

Oh, another enchanting read ... I came upon this as a teenager, after seeing the film starring Julie Christie and Terence Stamp and I had to read the book. Again every scene is stamped upon my heart as I have read it so much. I went on to read all the works of Thomas Hardy ... but this is my favourite.

I have returned to this book many times. I generally enjoy historical novels, but I love the way this depicts Richard III as a sensitive and loving character. Who knows ... it may be true!
What can I say about this book .... British librarians have recently said that it it should be read by every adult before they die.... who am I to disagree?

What are your favourite books?

6 comments:

  1. I love reading and always encouraged my children to read!! I had one success!! My daughter loves to read, alas not my son!! My favourite book - that's quite hard. I love Matilda by Roald Dahl: and I was totally enchanted by The Borrowers by Mary Norton when I was young! I was always reading then. Not so much now though!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading through your list of books. Many of those have been favorites in our household as well. Especially Jane Austen! I love Jane Austen's books, and was in my early 20's before I discovered her. She is definitely one of my all-time favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading about your favourite books. The first Jane Austen I read was Sense and Sensibility when I was about 15 I think it is my favourite although I do love Pride and Prejudice too. I'm a bit of a Ricardian so have quite a few books about Richard III The Sunne in Splendor is a favourite, as well as Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey and We Speak no Treason by Rosemary Hawley Jarman. Thanks for doing the books quiz - glad you enjoyed it - I'll post the answers over the weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love books - I always wanted a bookshop like Ellen used to have in "Buy the Book" or the one Meg Ryan has in "Youve got mail". I used to love Fridays when I was a little girl, because the mobile library used to come round. I loved the smell of the mobile library!! I was a bit like Roald Dahls "Matilda" with my library books - I remember especially the Milly Molly Mandy books from there. One of my favorite books ever is "My family and other Animals" by Gerald Durrell. I think I would like to be Mrs Durrell. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all great books! I think we have most of them here.
    My son hates 'Pride and Prejudice'...he did it for GCSE and I remember him coming home and saying that they were reading it and that...
    'Someone has danced with someone and someone has danced with someone else!!'
    I have just bought 'World Without End' for my bedtime reading. I think it will take me all year as it is one mighty, thick book!!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read 101 Dalmatians in a day when I was younger just after my Grandad died. It kept my mind busy and so is special for that reason. I loved Nancy Drew and What Katy Did.
    I also enjoyed collecting those story magazines with girls names, Bunty and Judy etc.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails