Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Thursday, 25 March 2010

Child of the Sixties ...

In response to the lovely nostalgic comments on my last post - here are some more memories from my childhood ...... again the photos are taken from a scrapbook layout I did a few years ago.

 

My years at primary school were in the sixties and the two photos span about six years.
I added pictures of things that were dear to me while I was growing up:

Does anyone remember the Bimbo comic?
I watched Doctor Who from behind a cushion - so scary then in black and white

Watch with Mother ....Picture Book, Andy Pandy, Bill and Ben, my very favourite Rag, Tag and Bobtail and the Wooden Tops 


I loved Rupert the Bear annuals and Mary Poppins ....
the wooden hut is "Colomendy" in North Wales-
every child in Liverpool spent a week away from home at Colomendy at least once in their school lives-
it was a residential centre owned by Liverpool L.E.A.
I would spend hours lost in reading
Ah- the Magic Roundabout - but I didn't see it in colour
The Beatles, the Sound of Music - (still a favourite to this day)
.... and the Monkees-
so dated and incredibly silly when you see clips of the TV programme now - but I loved the Monkees!!!

 Was anyone else a "Child of the Sixties?"

7 comments:

  1. I loved butterscotch spangles! They were the best. I was born in 1968 and remember the Monkee programess from the school hols during the 70's.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! I remember everything - obviously I am the same sort of age!!! I LOVED the Monkees, and was petrified of the Daleks - I used to hide behind the sofa!!!
    Thank you for the memories!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed your childhood memories, Kathy - although I was a 50s child and a teenager in the 60s. I remember Watch with Mother especially Andy Pandy and Rag,Tag and Bobtail which was my favourite, too! From very early on I remember Prudence and Patience kitten with Annette Mills we must have had a television in about 1955. I remember reading The Secret Seven books, Little Women and What Katy Did and also Bunty, Judy and Beano comics. My sister who was ten years older used to watch 6,5 Special with people like Cliff Richard, Adam Faith and Billy Fury. I remember Children's favourites on the radio with Uncle Mac and Toy Town with Larry the Lamb. I was about 16 when the Monkees were first on TV in 1966 - still like I'm a Believer! Gosh, I have been on a trip down memory lane this morning:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a journey down memory lane.I also spent time at Colomendy when I was in college.I never thought IHave a great easter holiday. would end up living about three miles from the place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I was born in 1964, and remember everything in your post apart from Bimbo? I used to watch all the programmes you mention. I remember watching The Monkees and reading Rupert Annuals around at my Grandparents' house, and I used to hide behind the settee whenever the Sea Monsters came on Dr Who.
    My Mum would often play the Beatles Red Album, and I know pretty much all the lyrics, still to this day! Your scrapbook pages are great, I'd like to do something like this, one day? I am quite sentimental about this period of my life, your post has brought back so many happy memories for me. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sis had Bimbo - I think it says a lot!! I had Princess Tina!! Totally loved the Wooden Tops (and Mr Ed, Beverley Hillbillies and Bewitched) hated the Daleks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow youve taken me back I watched any pandy, magic roundabout and also hated Dr Who! SPANGLES wow Id forgotten them, square sweets! Great post, think we are the same age Kathy, lovely to have found you in blogland and living so near!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails