Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Wednesday, 17 March 2010

A Trip to Dublin ...

A few years ago I was lucky enough to spend a day in Dublin  with a group of friends... half an hour from Liverpool by plane - it's an easy day trip. After an early start, we were in a bar in O'Connell Street by 8 a.m. tucking into the biggest Irish breakfast you could imagine, sitting next to a roaring fire.
We boarded a hop on - hop off tour bus - the best way to see any city if you haven't got a lot of time...

St. Patrick's Cathedral

Trinity College Dublin - home of the Book of Kells

The famous Georgian doors

Of course we did the Guinness factory tour - and were given a free pint of the black stuff on the 7th floor

Well it may be good for you - but it's not for me - ugh!

It was good to see that Molly Malone is still plying her trade
My grandmother used to sing this song to us when we were
In Dublin's fair city
I once met a girl named sweet Molly Malone
and she wheeled her wheel barrow
through the streets broad and narrow
singing cockles and mussels alive alive oh



She was a fish monger
and sure was no wonder
so were her mother and father before
and they wheeled their wheel barrow
through the streets broad and narrow
singing cockles and mussels alive alive oh



She died of a fever
and so one could save her
and that was the end of sweet Molly Malone
now her ghost wheels her barrow through the streets broad and narrow
singing cockles and mussels alive alive oh
Alive alive oh
alive alive ohh
Singing cockles and mussels
alive alive ohhh

Dublin is a lovely city- lots to see- good shops - and so many great places to eat and drink!


7 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I like the look of a pint of Guinness but I can't bear the taste!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Dublin, but I have always wanted to go!! I could fit a day in too!!! It looks amazing!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hubby and I have promised ourselves a trip to Dublin when the kids no longer want to come with us - We both love Guiness!! That breakfast looks good

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post - Dublin is on my list of places to go, it looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Dublin couple of years ago for wedding but we went on the fery so we could make a little holiday out of it.
    today we went out to lunch with a group of friends and there were Irish specials on the menu.A friend had Irish stew made with Guinness and said it tasted really strange!I stuck to fish and chips(chips-what a treat .I'm on a diet!1)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never been, but looks wonderful, especially that breakfast! ... ;0)

    Shirl x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been lucky enough to visit Ireland several times but have never been to Dublin. Maybe one day ...
    Love the photos! Not terribly keen on Guinness myself ... :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails