Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Canterbury Tales

For many summers now we've driven down to Dover on our way to catch the ferry to France. Each time we've seen the signs for Canterbury, we've always said that we'd go there one day.
Well, as we staying on the very eastern edge of London we realised that we were only about an hour away~ so a trip was planned. We were not disappointed. It was well worth the detour.
The most popular place in Canterbury is the cathedral. It is just stunning ... a thousand years of history all around you. I think it's the most beautiful cathedral we've ever seen!
 Stunningly beautiful details everywhere you look.
Mr B. always likes to have lots of information so he doesn't miss anything important, so these audio guides were essential. Without them we would never have found the sacred place where Thomas Becket was murdered. 
The lighted candle marks the place where his golden jewelled tomb used to stand. We learned that it was removed on the orders of Henry VIII, who wanted to get rid of the reminder of a priest who stood up to a tyrant king ... and looted the treasure for his own coffers.
We heard the stories behind the beautiful stained glass windows ....
and discovered the tomb of the Black Prince.
I'd love to live right here! 
We had a lovely lunch in a Japanese noodle bar ... a new experience for us ... but we'd definitely go again!
Finally, we headed here to savour Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.
I did The Wife of Bath's Tale for A Level Literature many moons ago ... in fact so long ago, I'd completely forgotten the story. It all came flooding back to me from the mists of time as "we travelled with the pilgims" in this charming little museum. Great fun! I wish now, that I'd bought the book in the museum shop. I might pop over to Amazon and see what they've got! 
I can't wait for our next trip in the Easter holidays, when we're heading down to Cheddar Gorge.

17 comments:

  1. It looks like such an interesting place, I bet I would love it there! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love Canterbury! Always something new to see, and it has such a lovely 'feel' to it, something special. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ~ what a magnificent cathedral ~ it's on my wish list to see, and now even more than ever, after seen your photos, I'd love to visit. Sounds like you had a great holiday, and experienced many lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it funny that so often we say, must go there someday. Canterbury looks really interesting, for the beautiful catherdral alone never mind all the rest of your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stained glass windows are amazing, such detail. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, well worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the Franklins Prologue and Tale for my English Lit! Strange how a little prompt makes things flood back from the dark recesses!
    Lovely pics as usual!
    BH x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does look like another place to add to my 'must visit' list.

    Cheddar Gorge is lovely - you'll enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you we've only ever passed by or through Canterbury on the way to Dover and the ferry terminals. I've always wanted to see the Cathedral and now I have through your lovely photos - thanks for sharing them! Have enjoyed your London post & photos too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love Canterbury. When the children were small, we spent many happy seaside holidays at Broadstairs, on the Kent coast. Charles Dickens wrote Bleak House there! We always spent a day in Canterbury and did the cathedral tour. It sounds like you have had a lovely break. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a brilliant little trip, i love Canterbury and think it deserves another visit. just asked H if we should get a caravan.....reply not printable

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Cathedral is beautiful isn't it, Hubby took me there when we first started going out and I love it. if your going to Cheddar gorge try to get over to Cleveden to see the pier.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Canterbury is quite an inspirational place, imagine studying there. Last time we drove from Scotland to Dover for the ferry we stopped off in Canterbury for fish and chips, not very sophisticated but excellent grub.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to do Cantebury one year - perhaps next year. You made it look and sound really lovely. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great day out. Canterbury is beautiful.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos and stunning stained glass windows. I think even the name 'Canterbury' is beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely incredible! I can't believe the magnificence of all the old buildings...and the architecture!
    Incredibly beautiful.
    Thanks for the tour:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing photos, I love stained glass windows. Canterbury is going on my list too!
    Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails