Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Why I like teaching ...

In work today, just for the morning, I was chatting with my class of Year Threes.
The subject of Father Christmas came up ... well, it is that time of year!
For once every single child in the class truly believes, and their eyes were shining as we talked.

We discussed:
The perils of landing a sleigh on a sloping roof
How to keep your reindeer from falling off
How to squeeze down narrow chimneys
What he would do if there was still a fire at the bottom?
How does Father Christmas get into houses without chimneys?
How does he get all around the world on one night?
How come he's very old and he's not dead yet?

At seven these children are now making sense of the world and beginning to ask tricky questions ... as a teacher you  have to be very careful not to trample on anyone's dreams ... you have to deal with these important issues in a very sensitive way!

I needn't have worried ... they had it all worked out.

Father Christmas is a bit like Doctor Who ...
he's a time traveller too,
he has a magic key just like that sonic screwdriver ...
he might even be able to split himself into different people so he can get round everyone.

Did you know it's the law that every child in the world has to get at least one present!

Children, on good days, will always cheer you up!

15 comments:

  1. Glad you're having good times back at school again! Christmas with year 3s is still magical! I love it! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post & what a delightful teacher you are ~ I love how you said "you must be care-ful not to trample on dreams"
    how very thoughtful!
    xx
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh bless them ... let's hope nobody spoils the dream for them for a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children are very perceptive! I bet you are a great teacher. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The magic of Xmas.It's wonderful to be in a school at this time of the year.I used to love it and so miss it.it's a good job I have grandchildren who are young enough to truly believe.Had a long conversation with Ruby aged 3 about Santa.She has already got reindoor food at the ready!Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh....kids.
    My favorite people in all the world. To see it all through their eyes once again.
    (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work with learning disabled children and I love every minute of it. This year I am in a third grade class( 8 and 9 )year olds. We are inclusive by law( The No Child Left Behind Act) so we are in a standard classroom with regular ed students. I have at least six good belly laughs a day. There is nothing as wonderful as kids. So glad you love your job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol - you must hear some tails - I dread to think what my youngest tells his teachers he has quite an imagination - Social Services havent been in touch (yet!) :-) Lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fantastic idea, father doctor who christmas, could me me believe too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats beatiful Kathy - very uplifting. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww, how lovely to be able to share in such magical dreams. If only they were so innocent for a little longer than they are nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I work as TA in Y3 and think it is my favourite age group - a little independance but not yet cynical.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Kathy,
    I've made you a little Christmas card which I'd like to send up to you. If you are ok with sharing your address details with me my email is scattercushion@aol.com. No problem if you'd rather not though!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh how wonderful - I've enjoyed reading how your class thinks Father Christmas copes with making his deliveries. I love the image of him in your new header! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails