At the hospital on Thursday for a routine check-up, it is decided that I should take a break from my medication, to see if the miserable side effects ease. A different drug therapy is suggested for me to start in six weeks time.
I'm left feeling a bit bewildered .... I hate taking the Tamoxifen, I hate how it makes me feel ... I thought I would feel happy, but I don't. I think deep down I must really believe it's the only thing protecting me from the cancer returning.
I've been Googling the new drug (I know I shouldn't, I really shouldn't!!!) and have discovered that although it works in a very different way, the side effects seem to be very similar to those I'm already experiencing, plus some new ones!!!!
So I'm left wondering what to do .... lots of thinking to be done before my next appointment.
Moan, moan, moan!!! Sorry x

It is hard when a drug we need has unwanted side effects. keep an open mind maybe the new drug will no have the side effects you are experiencing.
ReplyDeletewishing you good luck
cathy
It is so difficult when you need to take drugs to help and protect you and yet at the same time end up with miserable side effects. I can well imagine your dilemma and also know the dangers of 'googling' Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you are moaning. You need to voice your thoughts and mull over your options, it's a big decision which needs a lot of thought and sometimes those things have got to be said out loud.
ReplyDeleteHope you have some good things planned for the weekend.
Lisa x
Moan away all you like to us Kathy. I think you have done really well in the aftermath of your illness. Because you look so well and have gotten on with the "living" bit of life, its easy for us to forget that you still are having treatment and all the nasties that go along with that. XXXXXXXXX
ReplyDeleteOh dear poor you, what a stress. You must talk and read and pray. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteLove and prayers
Heather x
Thank you for sharing with us. I hope your new medication works better for you.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Anne xx
Kathy, I was on Tamoxifen during my treatment of chemotherapy and radiation, but after weighing the side effects against the benefits, I made the choice to discontinue the drug. At the time, there weren't any proven benefits for pre-menopausal women. Some 14 years later, I had a recurrence in the opposite breast. Testing of the new tumor indicated it was a new occurrence and NOT a recurrence of the first tumor. I have never once regretted my decision to go off Tamoxifen. The side effects loomed large for me - and I'm very leery of the drug manufacturers. I don't think drugs are properly tested before being put on the market and when the deadly side effects occur 20 years later, everyone says "oops", but the damage is done! For me, I believe that what will be, will be. Drug choices are all very personal - and while we would all like to be able to control our destinies, I don't know that we are in charge (or the drugs, or the Doctors). So glad you shared your feelings here - hope you don't mind my sharing back with you. We cancer survivors have to stick together! It's a rather large sisterhood - we all have personal experiences - and it SUCKS that we have to worry about it! My last recurrence found me on Femara (an estrogen blocker). Now THAT had awful side effects! I chose to quit taking that as well! I might die early, but I want my quality of life while I'm alive! Hugs to you. Annette
ReplyDeleteNot moaning at all Kathy, just voicing your thoughts and worries! It all needs thinking through and exploring from every angle. In the meantime find lots of lovely things to do - take care:)
ReplyDeleteIt is difficult to make a decision when faced with 'the devil you know' and something completely different! It is possible that you won't have any side effects from the new drug. Could you try out the new drug and go back to the the current one if it doesn't work out for you? Take care Kathy and I hope you find a solution to your predicament! x
ReplyDeleteI hate making even everyday decisions so one like this would make my head explode,but if it helps I was told by a doctor recently when I was panicking over this long list of side effects that although they list all these side effects doesn't necessarily mean you will get them all. Maybe it will be the same for you.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
Gillx
Hi Kathy.Moan away,it helps.What are your side effects with tamaxofen?Maybe the new drug will not effect you in the same way.I am sure the doctor wouldn't have suggested it if he thought it might be just as bad.When you look on the internet they always list "possible" side effects to cover themselves.You have only to read the leaflet in any prescribed medication and read the list of possible side effects to see they list anything and everything!!!I think I would trust the doctor and give the new drug a go.Presumably you could always go back on Tamoxofen if it is worse.Good luck.Thinking about you.Bx
ReplyDeleteI hope you see some improvement with the new drug. How horrid for you,
ReplyDeleteX
Oh dear Kathy - I'm sorry to hear of the problems you are having with your medication. Totally understand your trepidation of the new one too.
ReplyDeleteHope it all gets sorted out for you.
Kathy it must be horrid having side effects from a drug that is also helping keep the cancer away. I have no words of wisdom, but never feel like you are moaning to us, we are your blog buddies, always here to lead an ear!
ReplyDeletexxx
Hello there! Sorry to hear there are yet more worries to deal with and decisions to make about your treatment. As if the initial treatment was not enough to deal with! I'm with Lyn, in as much as this is THE place to have a 'pour out'. There's lots of bloggy support to be had. Ros
ReplyDeletetry and get as much information as you can, ask lots of questions, and then ask some more. thinking of you x
ReplyDeleteOnly just catching up with some of your posts. Sorry things are a bit tricky - hope you find the right way through the maze of medication. xx
ReplyDeleteIt must be miserable to have to deal with unpleasant side effects from the drugs that you need to take. I don't envy you having to make this decision and hope that the break that you are taking does at least make you feel better.
ReplyDeleteI hope everything works out well for you, You will make the right decision I'm sure.
ReplyDelete