Well, as expected, it rained every single day for the week we spent in Scotland....
.... but we made the best of the few hours that were dry whenever we could.
... I took lots of nice 'arty' 'crafty' things to keep me happy while he was out battling in the wind and the rain. (Serious mountain walking is not for me!)
And there was the most magnificent scenery all around us ....
.... these photos were taken from our Caravan Club site on the edge of Loch Linnhe
We visited Glen Coe .... scene of the infamous massacre, remembered here at the memorial to the slaughtered MacDonald clan.
and ate good food at the Clachaig Inn, a bar full of Highland spirit, with Inca tucked happily under the table.
We saw waterfalls....
and woodlands cloaked in autumnal colours
Deep, dark lochs under brooding skies
and the stunning Glen Etive.
Another magnificent sight ... the Commando Memorial
a huge bronze monument to those who lost their lives in WWII, standing alone on the hillside above Spean Bridge. It was made even more poignant by the addition of many tributes to young soldiers who have fallen in more recent battles.
The highlight of the whole week for me was catching sight of this amazing creature as we drove slowly down Glen Etive ....
It took me twenty seven photographs before I got this .... as he lifted his head and stared right at us. Just wonderful!!!!
Sunset over Loch Linnhe.




It is a shame that you didn't have better weather but the scenery is stunning! Good job that you remembered to take your art things with you too! x
ReplyDeleteWhat a brilliant break.A far cry from the classroom.A real escape.At this time of the year the weather is dodgy anywhere.In a recent quiz we set one of the questions was "How high does a mountain/hill have to be to be called a Monroe?"!!I love the photos.Do we see the result of your craft projects?
ReplyDeleteLooks like a nice trip. I love the painting in your book!
ReplyDeletewow, some lovely photo's. seems like you made the most of the time even if the weather was Scottish! hope you enjoyed your week off!
ReplyDeleteSome beautiful photos Cathy, I hope you have recharged your batteries ready for the onslaught of Christmas at school!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a fabulous holiday, even though it rained all week!
ReplyDeleteLooks stunning - I bet you managed to get loads of photo hunt pics taken :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, making me a tiny bit jealous (ok, a *lot* jealous!) because I'm slightly obsessed with the Highlands! I have a cherished stag photo too, where we just happened to be in the right place at the right time, and I turned around and he was looking right at me!
ReplyDeleteFabulous photos...reminds me of our summer holiday...we stopped at the WWII memorial too.
ReplyDeleteThat all looks stunning Kathy - you made the best of every bit of your hols. We never let the weather bother us either. xxxxx
ReplyDeleteIt looks very wet but very atmospheric and so beautiful. I love your photo of the stag just perfect:)
ReplyDeleteI guess you can accept the rain a little more easily, when you are surrounded by such stunnng scenery. Glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable break. Have a good week back at school. Ros
ReplyDeleteHi, I was in the middle of commenting on this post when we lost power - for 31 hrs. - because of our freak Nor'Easter snow storm! As a result, Trick o Treat has been cancelled in our town.
ReplyDeleteWhat intrigued me were the memorials, I've never heard of the MacDonald or WWII memorial for that battle. I know my husband will especially be interested. I'm off to do a little research.
Mary
What a nice trip (even if it was raining). I love your sunset picture.
ReplyDelete