Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Monday, 17 May 2010

A Postcard from the North East ....


I spent this weekend in the North East with my lovely girl who, at last, had some free days after a hectic time at work over the last few weeks. I travelled up on Friday evening, and was in time to see the sunset at Whitley Bay ...
We walked around St. Mary's Lighthouse, and watched the sun go down ....
... it was spectacular!

Next morning we drove up to Alwnick to see the castle and gardens.....
but first we found a little market in the centre of the town ....
the little cobbled square was filled with stalls and we were tempted to purchase a lovely scarf each, even though summer is approaching and we both have far too many scarves anyway!!!
After coffee, we set off to the castle ...
Recognise the place? Scenes from Harry Potter were filmed here ....
We loved this lantern!
This dark brooding area is where the Quidditch matches are filmed!
My lovely girl was very taken with Hedwig in the courtyard shop ... in fact I loved the shop too, and bought some goodies for school .... that's what teachers do wherever they go!



The children's area - Knight's Quest was fantastic ... little ones were wandering around dressed up in costumes trying out all sorts of wonderful activities.
We felt a bit bereft, having no tinies with us, but we ventured boldly into the Dragon's Quest anyway.....
... where we were plunged into darkness, had to negotiate a maze of mirrors and met some monstrous things on the way. Some little ones were really scared in there and had to be carried out!
What a fantastic way to bring history alive and excite the youngest visitors!

We had a picnic lunch, using my new picnic basket ....
a C.K. look alike from a high street store (at a fraction of the price) ....

and then we were were ready to visit the wonderful gardens ....
but I'll have to show you tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Super photos, Kathy looks like you had a great weekend - that sunset is wonderful and the castle looks great fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely day you had - great picnic hamper too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely day with some lovely places to visit - I love Alnwick Castle. I'm hoping that once my girls has left home, she might enjoy my company better than she seems to do at the moment!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great place to visit.
    I am in love with your picnic basket.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a fabulous weekend! Yes, teachers do always end up buying 'stuff' for school, wherever they go! I'm dreadful...... :) Ros

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popped in to read this as it was showing up on the bottom of your new post.

    I have to look at all your posts of the North East as I'm from there.

    Have been to both places in this post - love them. St. Mary's lighthouse cut off by the tide - who wouldn't want to live there - no unwanted visitors when the tide is in!!!! Alnwick Castle amazing and the wonderful garden they have created there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails