So, what can I say about Florence?
it's hot,
it's tiring,
it's crowded,
it's narrow medieval streets are infuriatingly confusing,
sight-seeing is very hard on the feet ...
... but it is so. so beautiful.
I've just come back from a short break there. We went in galleries, cathedrals, churches, crossed bridges and wandered through ancient cobbled streets. There's too much to write about so I'll just give you a flavour of what we saw.
I've just come back from a short break there. We went in galleries, cathedrals, churches, crossed bridges and wandered through ancient cobbled streets. There's too much to write about so I'll just give you a flavour of what we saw.
We were really here to see the art, so the Uffizi gallery was high on our list of must-dos
There is room after room of Renaissance masterpieces but I suppose the highlights for me are the Botticellis
'The Birth of Venus'
'Primavera'
I must confess after the first hundred paintings of the Madonna and Child you get a bit blase, so we were pleased to discover a lovely cafe and terrace halfway. Never has a glass sparkling water been so welcome.
Palazzo Vecchio, Florence's town hall since 1302, bathed in a golden light in the early evening.
'Il Porcellino', the much loved bronze boar, in the Mercato Nuovo. His snout is bright and shiny from all the stroking and kisses lavished on him.
The market in the shadow of San Lorenzo, full of leather goods, scarves and other trinkets. I was sorely tempted by the handbags, but restrained myself. Partly, because I couldn't justify bringing yet another handbag into the house, but mainly because of the measly baggage allowance imposed by the budget airline we were using!
A view into the cloisters at the peaceful monastery of San Marco.Each of the monks' cells have a fresco by Fra Angelico painted on the walls.
The famous 'Annunciation".
Mr B. was amused by Michelangelo's 'Bacchus".
The drunken expression was just right.
The Duomo of Santa Maria del Fiori dominates the city and can be seen from everywhere.
The Campanile is the bell tower standing tall and graceful next to the Duomo.
A vast Gothic confection of pink, green and white marble. How did they manage to create such a building so long ago? Could it be built today? I doubt it.
On the last day, Mr. B. decided he wanted to climb to the top of the Dome as a birthday treat ... so we did. It was fun spotting all the places we had visited during the week.
Just to prove I made it up the 463 steps in one piece!

Later in the afternoon, we took a bus up to the hills beyond the city, and had lunch on a terrace with wonderful view. It was a perfect contrast to the bustling streets far below us, and a nice way to finish our visit.
Later in the afternoon, we took a bus up to the hills beyond the city, and had lunch on a terrace with wonderful view. It was a perfect contrast to the bustling streets far below us, and a nice way to finish our visit.








What a wonderful if not tiring trip. Fabulous sights. 463 steps...gulp! worth it though for the fabulous view of those roof tops and beyond. x
ReplyDeleteI LOVE Florence!! Coming from a history poor Australia, I fell in love with everything when we visited last year. Love your photos.
ReplyDeleteAnne xx
Never been to Florence so this taste of it has been great. It's on my list !!!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness your post brought back some memories for me. I loved the Uffizi Gallery and the Ponte Vecchio but you are right Florence was hot, tiring and crowded - except in the Uffizi. Did you stroke the boar's nose? I think the legend is that if you do you will return one day:)
ReplyDeletebeautiful photos, I have only had one brief trip to Florence and it is definitely on my list of places to go back to. looks as though you had a lovely time. x
ReplyDeleteI don't think I could make it up 463 steps! I bought 2 handbags when I was there lol.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous architecture! I can feel the warmth glowing from your photos. I'm glad that you had a good time. Jx
ReplyDeleteoh gorgeous. I visited Florence when I was 18, and the art and the culture was probably lost on me a little........ must go back.... we stayed in a campsite on the hill above, and the view down was similar to your view from the dome. gorgeous x
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post, lovely photos and brought back some nice memories-I'm lucky enough to have been a handful of times, but never than more for a day or two- The photos really reflect what Florence is all about- Art, architecture, and shopping! I can totally empathise with the handbag dilemma- I remember coveting a beautiful leather satchel about 20 years ago- and I still regret not buying it!:)Glad you had a great time:)
ReplyDeleteAmazing architecture and fabulous photos. Thanks for sharing. Don't suppose I will ever get there but your tour was very enlightening.
ReplyDeleteFlorence looks an amazing place to visit. I did enjoy seeing your photos of this wonderful city.
ReplyDeleteSarah x
Grand tour and yes, it is so beautiful but I don't like crowds either.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos, Florence is one of many places I'd love to visit.
ReplyDelete