Another day, another exhibition .... this time at Belsay Castle. We came to see a collection of costumes from TV and film productions of Jane Austen novels.
Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet's wedding clothes from 'Sense and Sensibility'.
Gwyneth Paltrow's picnic dress from 'Emma'.
Judi Dench's gown from the more recent film of' Pride and Prejudice.'
Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle's costumes from the BBC's 'Pride and Prejudice.'
We were amazed at how tiny some of the costumes were. Dame Judi's was so petite!
And Hugh Grant must be really short too. with skinny legs!
This was his costume form Sense and Sensibility .....
Moving on, it was time to look around our surroundings.
Belsay has a Castle, stunning grounds and also a Hall.
The owners had abandoned the castle in Georgian times, to build the new Hall, where we had seen the exhibition. We wandered around the rest of the Hall, which was handed over to English Heritage on the understanding that it wasn't to be renovated and filled with random furniture.
So the rooms look like someone has just moved out, about 50 years ago!
All faded wallpaper and dust. it was quite charming in a way.
My daughter seriously needs a walk-in wardrobe on this scale!
We loved this pretty pastel wallpaper, which could easily see a revival today.
Outside in the warm sunshine we strolled through lovely gardens for about half a mile down to the castle itself.
The castle was straight from "I Capture the Castle", a very pretty ruin, but you could see why the family couldn't wait to move to into their new home up at the Hall.
Suffering from history overload by now, we sat in the warm sunshine with ice-cream, and watched some of the Horse Trials that were taking place on the estate.





What lovely photos, I love all the costumes. :)
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely way to spend the day - seriously going to have to go there too to see those costumes!
ReplyDeleteBH x
Lovely day out and those costumes are wonderful. I do love a good costume drama. The castle looks good too.
ReplyDeletePatricia x
Looks like you've had a great few days. I'm off to spend a few days with my daughter and I hope she has some treats like yours did.
ReplyDeleteGillx
How super!!! I'd love to see those costumes!x
ReplyDeleteIt must have been interesting to get a close look at the costumes. It's incredible how small some actors and actresses seem to be! Jx
ReplyDeleteI would love to see those costumes, what a brilliant exhibition.
ReplyDeleteLooking at the gallery of the castle it reminds me of when Mary (Downton Abbey) was going to marry that newspaper chap and they looked at their new home together, probably nothing like it but that's how I remember the scene in my head!
Lisa x
going to see this exhibition is on my to do list!
ReplyDeleteNow that looks like our sort of place to visit, I would love tho see the costumes...I'm into costumes at the moment! Xxx
ReplyDelete