We've been making the most of the dry weather this week out in our garden, which is in the process of a major makeover.
It all started when we decided that we would have to replace our tatty old garage, which just can't be patched up any more. The heavy rain throughout the last few years have taken their toll, and last winter the floor was flooded out several times.
While we are at it, we thought we would finally treat ourselves to a garden shed. I'm so excited about this, sad I know, but I've wanted a shed for ages.
So, we've had a huge monstrous tree removed to make room for the shed.
Then a tree we quite liked had to go too, because we discovered it was more than fifty per cent dead, but had been hidden by the horrible tree.
Utter chaos ensued, because now, it seems every part of our fairly small garden has been affected, and we've been cutting back, clearing, chopping and digging for ages now.
It must be said that we are not gardeners, never having had the time nor inclination to be honest. I start out with good intentions, but lose interest, and for the past few years I really haven't had much energy to cope with anything more than plants in pots. Mr B. keeps the lawns tidy, but he's much happier out in the mountains than in the garden. And we do a fair bit of gadding about in the caravan I suppose. Our dog, Inca, likes to help, but she digs holes in all the wrong places, and we recently filled in our little pond because she kept jumping in!
The result is a space that is completely neglected, overgrown, and tangled. However, with retirement on the horizon, the plan is to make the garden into somewhere nice to sit with a cuppa on those rare sunny days.
I've been daydreaming on Pinterest .....
It's going to be a long work in progress!!!




It will be worth all the hard work in the end! There is something deeply satisfying about gardening. And cutting down those trees will not only give you room for a shed - it will let lots more sunlight onto the garden.
ReplyDeleteOh good luck. I can only assume that I now have Hell in my back garden, because I've certainly paved the way with good intentions!
ReplyDelete"she digs holes in all the wrong places, and we recently filled in our little pond because she kept jumping in!"
ReplyDeleteLOL that sounds exactly like Roobarb! :-D
One thing does tend to lead to another where it's indoor decoration or outdoor gardening!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your plans, Pinterest can get you drooling, some of those images are just so pretty.
Lisa x
Good luck with your works in progress. It's surprising how much space a few trees take up. Maybe this might give you inspiration to start your garden venture which I'm sure you'll enjoy once you get started.
ReplyDeletePatricia x
Good luck with the plans. Our dog always drops his ball wherever we dig as he knows we will pick it up and throw it away so we can carry on digging. Too smart by half.
ReplyDeleteGillx
Sounds like you have lots of had work ahead of you.
ReplyDeleteLooks like a lot of hard work but it will be super to have your own shed or even a summer house to sit in:)
ReplyDeleteI look forward to seeing it all completed and I'm sure it will end up like one of those pictures you are dreaming about on pinterest.
ReplyDeleteSarah x