Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Sunday, 16 June 2013

Edward Burne-Jones at the Lady Lever

If, like me, you love all things Pre-Raphaelite, there's a new exhibition on at the Lady Lever Gallery in Port Sunlight.They're showing a collection of Edward Burne-Jones drawings and watercolours.

The delicate drawings are too fragile for permanent display, and they're usually carefully stored somewhere in darkened rooms. They form part of Lord Lever's amazing collection of work, along with a few items on loan from Liverpool's Walker Art Gallery. This is the first time that they've all been seen together in over twenty years.
The drawings are mostly studies for later paintings ....

 and it's interesting to see them side by side.

This watercolour is so large, it took ten men to carry it into the gallery. Apparently they had great difficulty negotiating the curved staircase.
I was fortunate to be there when the curator was giving a talk, so for an hour I was lost in a world of romantic ideals, heraldic chivalry and fairytales. It was a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning.
My favourite piece was this exquisite angel, which just glows.

The exhibition has just started, and continues until January 2014. 
If you're in the area it's well worth a visit, as is rest of the gallery if you've never been before. 

I did a post about it a while back if you want to know more .... here

(All images from Google)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for that. I've been thinking for a while I should come back to the Lever Gallery. Sounds like a good excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Morning AJ I've always wanted to make a return visit to Port Sunlight and the Lever Gallery and this looks like a wonderful exhibition and a good excuse to return:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reminding us .Its a "must".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that angel too. Will try and catch that before it finishes.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely exhibition. I've never been to Port Sunlight- I shall have to make the effort:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved the pre- Raphaelites since uni. There was a great collection in Birmingham. Have you ever seen the Boer War? Its gorgeous. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are wonderful. I really like the lady with the red background. She is stunningly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the Lady Lever when I was there - it's just the right size for a day trip. An extra helping of Burne-Jones can only improve it further.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails