We haven't managed our Wednesday date nights for a few weeks .... a combination of school inspections, parents' evenings and decorators in our house .... and we've really missed them.
So, yesterday, we were glad to stop off at Liverpool's Maritime Museum on our way home from work.
We had heard there was an exhibition of photographs from the Toxteth Riots which took place in Liverpool thirty years ago. We can both remember how frightening it was at that time, and although we were nowhere near where the riots took place, there was a real fear that the rioting could spread to other parts of the city.
Sadly, the 'exhibition' turned out to be two boards on a wall inside the Slavery Gallery, and was almost insignificant, so we were very disappointed.
While we were there we had a little look around the Slavery Gallery itself. There has been a Slavery Gallery in the Maritime Museum for years and years, and it used to be an excellent portrayal of Liverpool's shameful part in the Slave Trade. Recently, it has been revamped and moved to a different floor. It seems much larger, but we found it really dull, with far too much to read, and nothing to engage the visitor, or create an empathy. What a a missed opportunity!
They must have spent millions on the upgrade, and on the newly opened Museum of Liverpool, also at the waterfront..... but they're not exciting at all. In fact I haven't heard one good review about the Museum of Liverpool .... even the children in school say it's boring, but the old Museum of Liverpool Life, which it replaced, was a wonderful place for a school visit.
I read yesterday, that the Liverpool Museums may have to start charging admission fees again ... but unless they up their game, people will only pay once and will never return!
Moan over .... here's a few things that caught my eye as we looked round.
As ever, I'm drawn to brightly coloured things that are cheerful!!!




What a pity, to have your night turn out so dull.
ReplyDeleteI fear that museums will start charging again, and I agree, most people will only visit once then. Thanks for taking us along. xxx
ReplyDeleteThat is such a shame, hopefully things will change around the museum and they will make it more interesting and engaging to visitors making them want to return x x x x
ReplyDeleteHi Kathy - how very disappointing - I hope they listen to you and the other voices....
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a lovely weekend, thanks for stopping by,
Sarah -x-
It must be great to get back to your Wednesdays out but what a shame it was such a small exhibition! We are hoping to visit the World Museum soon - we visited some years ago but it has changed since then as hubby wants to photograph the pterosaur model that is now in the entrance hall. I must watch out for the charges:)
ReplyDeleteI, too, am drawn to brightly colored things especially costumes.
ReplyDeleteI think that's the teacher in you(bright colors I mean). Once again I have enjoyed my tour of Liverpool.
ReplyDeleteWe were tossing up whether or not to visit this museum when we came to Liverpool last year. I'm glad we didn't!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame, just goes to show that throwing money at something isn't always the answer. Hope you get back into your Wed's again.
ReplyDeleteLisa x
what a pity it didn't live up to expectation.....sometimes you wonder at the people paid to come up with these exhibitions. love the camden post, its a great place isnt it? x
ReplyDeleteI remember the Toxteth Riots too though I didn't live anywhere near Liverpool. Pity about the Museum, there's a wise old saying 'if it ain't broke then don't fix it'. Someone should have told Liverpool Museum about it!
ReplyDeleteReally interesting. One to remember when we are next in Liverpool. Have a good week. Ros
ReplyDeleteHi sorry been so long. Know what you mean by boring upgrades. Was a bit nervous about going to war museum in Manchester for that very reason but it is absolutely brilliant and would make a brilliant school trip. Our 2really liked it when they were a bit younger.
ReplyDeleteHope to be back very soon especially now that the Sunday baking has stopped x
I used to love the Maritime Museum (I was studying maritime archaeology at the Uni so I was a regular visitor). The slave gallery was in the actual slave pens then (1993-96)so you got a real taste of how horrific it must have been. Why on earth would they move it from the real site?
ReplyDelete