Out for a Saturday afternoon drive to Llangollen, we came across this lovely little abbey and decided to have a closer look. It was deserted ... we've never had such a beautiful place all to ourselves before.
I loved the elegant arches in the Chapter House.
We were surprised at how much of the abbey had survived. There was a great deal of roof still remaining which covered an upper floor which had once been the monks' dormitory.
I was intrigued by the ancient carvings around the abbey .... still clearly defined after eight hundred years of weathering and destruction. They certainly made things to last in Medieval times!
In a little summer house behind the abbey we met this guy ...... an animatronic monk who was spookily lifelike as he sat writing at his desk. As we approached, he lifted his head from his writing, looked us straight in the eye, and began to speak ... we nearly jumped out of our skin! He proceeded to narrate the history of the abbey .... Henry VIII has a lot to answer for!
Tale over, he returned to his writing and we stepped back out into the sunshine.
How lovely is this, the abbey reflected in the only complete Abbey Fishpond in the country!





I visited this abbey about 5 years ago and never saw the monk or the fishpond! Certainly an impressive building.
ReplyDeleteI must put this on the list for our next visit to my cousin who lives not far from there.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
It looks really gorgeous - so peacefull. Mr PP is looking a bit old though xxxxx
ReplyDeleteBeautiful place, no doubt enhanced by the fact that you had it all to yourselves for a while. Must admit that old monk would have made me a bit spooked.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fabulous place - I'm hoping to get down to North Wales later this year so must try and visit Valle Crucis.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely place - seriously creepy monk though!
ReplyDeleteThank you for solving a long time mystery of mine. I visited the abbey as a teenager and have several pictures taken during that visit...but I never knew where it was! Now I do! Looks just as I remember it.
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how lots of abbies have survived so well. This one looks very impressive, especially with its own fishpond.
ReplyDeleteWe always drive through Llangollen and Corwen on our way Porthmadog and on each journey try to find something new to stop and visit along the way - we must find the Abbey next time it looks wonderful:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful place. Amazing how it has survived, like you say it was built to last! The whole building (or whats left of it!) is stunning.
ReplyDeleteThe monk would have scared me to death! I had a dream of a monk jumping out of a wardrobe years ago and they have freaked me out ever since! Ridiculous I know.
X x
Wow looks very atmospheric. I do NOT like the talking monk though!!!
ReplyDeleteDid you go over the Horseshoe Pass.Its an amazing drive with Valle Crucis at the bottom.Aren't we lucky to have these lovely places within a short drive.
ReplyDeleteThe monk looks very realistic and a bit scary! Some of those carvings remind me of custard creams!
ReplyDeleteLovely place to spend a couple of peaceful hours.
Lisa x
So pretty! Love the arches and we can't believe you were alone there!
ReplyDeleteWyatt's Mom
Oh, that monk would have really made me jump.
ReplyDeleteI love the last photo with the reflection of the abbey in the fish pond.