This afternoon I had a gruelling few hours in Oncology to plan my radiotherapy treatment.
This involved a 40 minute wait in a cramped, hot, stuffy room with lots of people coughing around me,
before being called into the radiotherapy simulation room ... where I was asked questions like
"Do you know why you're here?" and "Do you think you could be pregnant?" .... really???
After what seemed like hours ....
of lying perfectly still on a hard bed with my arm raised above my head,
while people drew on me with different coloured pens ...
and the bed moving up and the bed moving down
and then up again
and great machines moved around me whirring
and beams of green light shooting across me
with lights going on and lights going off
and people leaving the room and whispering behind a panel about numbers and angles
suddenly it all went quiet ...
oh yes,
joy of joys,
the mighty machine had broken down ...
just like at home when your computer freezes
everything stopped
and I was left on the hard bed with my arm above my head ....
for a long time .....
getting cold...
while they whispered some more.
Eventually they decided to try another machine.
The bed had been left so high they had to send for a set of steps to get me down ...
obviously this is a normal occurence ...
why else would a set of steps be waiting in the wings ready to spring into action?
So ...
I had to get dressed ...
go back to the hot stuffy waiting room ...
and wait till I was called ...
to start all over again.
This time it seemed to go much better ...
and they seemed happy with the results.
Apparently I have a very good chest wall!!!
I've never been told that before!!!
Then I had to have two tattoos to mark the exact position for the beams to line up with.
Nothing fancy, just two black freckles ...
should I have asked for a dolphin or a rose
or maybe the names of my children?
I emerged two hours late clutching a list of twenty five appointments for radiotherapy
starting on the 28th July (our wedding anniversary)
stretching through until September 1st.
I came home and sobbed like I've never sobbed before.

I am so sorry that you are going through such a rotten time at the moment. At least you have the dates for the appointments sorted out so that you can arrange things around them. It is good to have a cry so that you don't let the emotions build up inside. I think I would have sobbed after such a drawn out day at Oncology too!!! x
ReplyDeleteAh bless Kathy - best let it all out. Sending you a great big hug. xxxxx
ReplyDeleteOh dear.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and sending good vibes across cyber that all will be well.
love
Lyn
xxx
am not surprised kathy, what a horrible time as if radiotherapy wouldnt be bad enough.for once lets wish the summer away and the end of this treatment.....then you can plan and look forward to something wonderful x
ReplyDeleteThe 6 week summer holiday usually rushes past.Let's hope it does this time and you will have your husband on hand to support you.You can both then start next term with this terrible treatment over with and begin to look forward.Good luck.Keep us posted.
ReplyDeleteThis is just the worse thing to hear Kathy. I am not surprised you burst into tears after all the trauma you went through. Friends and family will be with you every step of the way. x
ReplyDelete