Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Saturday, 17 April 2010

Beatrix Potter country....

On Wednesday we set out for a nice gentle walk, on a lovely sunny, blue sky day.

First stop was Waterhead
... where we ate our picnic at the water's edge.
The jetty for the Coniston Steamer ....
Next...we headed over to Sawrey - home to the famous Miss Potter.
We planned to walk from Far Sawrey to Near Sawrey through Garnett Woods - about 4.5 km through quiet countryside over wooded hills and dales.
As always I fantasised about living in a cottage like this ....
Inca was very interested in these sheep - but sensibly they kept a safe distance.
The village of  Near Sawrey ..... home to Beatrix Potter herself.
We didn't visit her house at Hill Top  as we have been there in the past ...
... when our son was doing research on a famous Victorian for a primary school topic ...

These photos were taken from a scrapbooking layout I did about eight years ago - I can't believe how serious my lovely boy looks!
We did see... a delightful wooden gate ....
 
.... surely Peter Rabbit can't be far away!
We noticed Mr. McGregor himself keeping watch outside one of the village houses.

If you head away from the hordes of tourists who swarm around Hill Top you could almost imagine what it was like when Beatrix fell in love with this lovely little corner of Lakeland.
Onward through delightful woods ...
... this little fellow hadn't yet learned to be wary and followed us for quite a distance ...

After a cold drink in the local hostelry, we headed back towards Windermere.
                        
..busy as usual with all sorts of boats ...
... but we wanted this one to ferry us across to the other side.
Inca waiting patiently  ....
...for the ferry to arrive.
A short trip to Windermere and then home for tea.
.. to our caravan hidden away in Manesty Woods in Borrowdale.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely pics. Thank you for sharing. I love your scrapbook layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that area and havn't you been lucky with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful scenery!!! Have a great time!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super day. I love the Beatrix Potter story. As you said it's a shame there are so many tourists, but that is what we would be..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved visiting Hill Top Farm. The whole area is just breathtaking.
    Hope you all have had the best time away.
    Cute little spring lamb!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been there and its not that far away really, an hour on a quiet morning! That white cottage has my name all over it for future retirement purposes - well in 30 years time...sigh...you can tell its monday morning tomorrow as I'm thinking retirement - roll on holidays!!

    BH x

    PS - re your comment, no you are not the only person with a thing for notebooks - they are taking over in this house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic set of photos! I like your scrapbook page too. It's great to be reminded of this most lovely area. We have visited only once, as it a long journey for us. You look a bit lonely in those woods! I was mesmerised by Hill Top when we visited. You can really set the scene for all her characters. That little lamb sure is cute!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails