Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Thursday, 28 January 2010

A Postcard from Heswall

About a mile away from our house is the thriving little town of Heswall, which is halfway between Liverpool and Chester, and has a population of about 8,000 .... it's a great place to live with good shopping, and lots of lovely restaurants.You really don't need to travel further afield for an evening out. The local primary schools are fantastic too.
My five favourite shops:
Goulds .... a family run stationers which has recently expanded into the empty store left by the demise of Woolworth's. This shop sells lovely pens, paper, cards, diaries etc. We love to pop in and browse, and never leave empty handed.
Indigo ..... has lovely furniture and gifts, and pretty things for the kitchen. Especially nice at Christmas time.
This place is my downfall .... M&S Simply Food is just too close for comfort .... and we spend far too much in there. It is a must on a Friday night after a week at work. Friday night is treat night. Half of Heswall agree with us as you can never get a parking space!!!


Linghams .... a lovely independent book shop.... with a fantastic children's section and a fab coffee shop.
Mackays is a great little shop which has everyday clothes at reasonable prices.

Worst shopping experience?

Tesco, unfortunately, now dominates the town .... since it arrived lots of our lovely food shops have closed.... we've lost butchers and greengrocers and the best deli ever.
I despise this shop, and everything it stands for, but have nowhere else to go. I should do more shopping on-line, but I'm very fussy about choosing my own fruit and veg etc. Oh for a Waitrose!

Best restaurant?

107 Dining Room for a special occasion


and What's Cooking  if you just can't be bothered cooking, especially good on Mondays when everything is 80's prices. Every child in Heswall has had a birthday party here!





We've lived in Heswall for about 25 years and wouldn't dream of moving away ....

(unless a massive win on the lottery enabled us to buy a house on the shores of Lake Windermere and an apartment in Paris!!!! Well, a little dreaming never hurt anyone!)





2 comments:

  1. Heswall looks a lovely town with lots of interesting little shops - no wonder you love being there! Thanks for showing us around your home town I've really enjoyed the tour:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tour. It's always interesting seeing new places.
    I completely agree about Tesco. I do everything I can to avoid spending money in their shops.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails