Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Sunday, 8 December 2013

A Second Pause in Advent - Out of the Darkness came the light

So, it's the second Sunday in December already and it's time for a second pause in Advent linking up with Floss at Troc, Broc and Recup'.

This year I've realised that Advent is all about filling my life with light. 

As the year closes, when days are shorter, nights start sooner and the quality of light is dulled by foul weather, there is no avoiding the fact that I am living most of my life in hours of darkness. 
I can reach out to switch on the artificial lights, 
but I sometimes think how it must have been for people in time long past. 
How would I have coped with only candles to light my home?

It's no wonder that so many Festivals of Light are held at this time of year.
 Saturnalia in Roman times, Yule, Diwali and Hannukah, the Feast of St Lucia in Sweden.
People all over the world are busy decorating their homes with lanterns and candles 
in ceremonies and traditions that date back to the dawn of time.

And, of course, we are preparing for Christmas. 
I put my decorations up this weekend. My house is now filled with light too.
This week in an R.E. lesson in school, we were talking about how we use light 
 in our lives leading up to Christmas.
 And the children came up with the usual long list: 
fairy lights, candles, Christmas lights in town, the Advent wreath, an Advent candle..... 

And then, out of the blue and unprompted, a child suggested the Star over the Stable in Bethlehem. 
(It was one of those lightbulb moments that occasionally occur in the classroom that makes teaching so worthwhile).

This was quickly followed by the Angels appearing in the sky to the shepherds, 
and the innkeeper's lantern showing Mary and Joseph to the stable....
and, finally, that people say Jesus is the Light of the World.

And so we talked about how light can be used to guide us too. 


A little while ago, I heard this song on the radio. 
I think it's appropriate today.
 'There is no Darkness' by Beth Neilson Chapman.

Tonight the second candle on our Advent wreath will be lit.
The second candle stands for Peace. 

I hope you can find some moments of peace this week in the build up to Christmas!

10 comments:

  1. Goodness, we have forgotten to light today's candle. And we could be doing with some heavenly light today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the song.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the song, too. Beautiful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That song is beautiful. Light- so important to our lives and the essence of Christmas- the light of the world!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely thought provoking post, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it great when the children come up with something unexpected and "right"?! The song is lovely too - I will return to listen again, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! Children see it how it is. I agree, those moments are priceless. Enjoy the school festive season! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post. Don't children surprise you all the time? Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. out of the mouths of babes sometimes, what a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice post. Although it is a week late, I am linking to this today from my Advent post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails