Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Thursday, 7 November 2013

Panda - monium!

In Liverpool it all started with the original Superlambanana .....
who morphed into a whole herd of multi-coloured lambs all over the city
 Bristol has Gromit Unleashed

Chester has the Rhino Trail
And now we have a very handsome panda .....
Each year group in our school has adopted an animal for a special project to be unveiled at a later date.
I've been working with Year Six and their panda. Isn't he wonderful?
The children thought hard about how they wanted him to look, and came up with some brilliant designs.
As they've been learning all about China they had lots of ideas. It was decided to take the best bits from several designs and blend them together in a take on the Willow Pattern. 
Armed with many shades of blue acrylic paints they couldn't wait to get started.
Pamela's dragon is taking shape

The children were keen to have lots of blossom ....
Can you see the Great Wall of China and some bamboo?
The Willow Pattern bridge and pagoda is on one of his paws
Brianna painted a terracotta warrior



Finally, all the children added their initial letter in Chinese writing.
Next task was to choose a name .... Bob was dismissed swiftly, Amanda the Panda made us laugh, but in the end we voted for       

                      开花战士


                                                  "Kāihuā zhànshì"


which translates as Blossom Warrior.

He now needs to be varnished, before he joins up with the animals from all the other classes.  

We're all very proud of him!

(To be continued .... some time in the new Year)

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful! What a great result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The children have made such an amazing transformation to the panda, he is stunning. Well done to all.
    Thanks for your comment too!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those kids did an amazing job one that panda!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! The children did a fantastic job. (At the Metrocentre there were elephants, saying that I didnt spot any on my last visit - wonder if they have made way for the Christmas decorations :-( )

    ReplyDelete
  5. he is just gorgeous! what splendid work, well done youngsters!
    We had swans in Wells, decorated by different groups and auctioned for charity at the end.
    My son is in Hongkong just now and send photos of lots of different coloured pandas (sitting up), including a patchwork one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is fabulous ! What fantastic designs the children painted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just lost a comment somewhere.... forgive me if I repeat myself.
    are they for public display? We went to see a lot of Superdragons in Newport some years ago. They were brilliant.

    Your panda is wonderful. Definitely a star.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is pure art. They did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is brilliant.What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow he is amazing, the children have done a fantastic job and love the name. Look forward to seeing them altogether. We had cows here in Cornwall!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The panda is absolutely beautiful - what a good idea to paint a willow pattern over him! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I've just found your blog through Floss's Troc,Broc... It's lovely to read! I'm a Liverpool Lass myself, so I've enjoyed reading about places I know! Your class's Panda is brilliant. Well done to them!! I have a SuperLambanana keyring...but nobody recognises it for what it is!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails