Last Wednesday we visited St George's Hall, one of Liverpool's most famous landmarks.
(google images)
It is said to be the finest neo-classical Grade One building in Europe, and is a UNESCO World heritage site. It was completed in 1855, at the height of Liverpool's prosperity, and housed a cultural venue in the Great Hall, where the rich could attend concerts and listen to readings by the likes of Charles Dickens. It was also a Law Court, where the poor could be gaoled for drunkenness and theft.
During Liverpool's decline in the late 20th Century, the interior of the building was neglected and it was eventually closed to the public. As the city's fortunes have improved, the hall has been restored to its former glory and it was re-opened in 2007.
Come and have a peek inside.
Great bronze doors lead into the Great Hall
However, it is the floor which we had come to see. It is magnificently laid with 30,000 Minton encaustic tiles. This wonderful floor is usually covered by a wooden sprung dance floor which was in fitted in 1883.Fortunately, the wooden blocks are lifted on rare occasions for public viewing of the floor underneath.
Well, it just so happens that the tiles are on view during part of January, and, as neither of us had seen them before, we popped in on our way home from work. It was quite dark inside, so the photographs don't do it justice!
These sections of floor are around the edge of the room and are not covered up, and you can see how the colours have faded and the pattern worn away.
I've been in to the Great Hall a few times for school events, but had never seen the floor before. It was well worth the £1 fee. Just amazing!
You can also take a free tour of the old Law Courts and the prison cells, but it was getting late, so we'll have to save it for another day.






Hello there! Just been catching up on your last few posts. I seem to be so busy at present, that I am only managing a weekly pop-in. I hope your daughter soon settles. It's so draining when they are not happy for whatever reason and however old they are. I agree, it never gets any easier.Glad you had a lovely day in London with your daughter. Hope you have a good week. Ros
ReplyDeleteThe floor is fantastic, reminds me of Roman mosaic floors. It's as well that it's covered most of the time, you can really see the difference between the covered and uncovered part. I think I saw the Hall on a TV programme a year or two ago - maybe when it was being re-opened. It's certainly impressive and worth a visit. If I get chance I might spend a day in Liverpool this summer.
ReplyDeleteWhat a magnificent floor! I remember going into St George's Hall quite a few years ago before it was restored it was impressive then so must be quite spectacular now. When we first moved to Stoke the Minton factory was still working but it is long gone and there is now a Sainsbury supermarket on the site of it - how times change!:)
ReplyDeleteWow, that floor certainly is beautiful and so intricate. I wonder how many people worked on it and for how long.
ReplyDeleteWow - that's gorgeous. In four years living in Liverpool I never managed to get inside the hall so this was a great chance to see it. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWhat a shame it would have been had it not been restored. How buildings such as these, which house such treasures can be left to rack and ruin is beyond me.
ReplyDeleteThose tiles are stunning! Definitely a labour of love! x
ReplyDeleteGlad they have restored it - its truly magnificent! xx
ReplyDeleteIncredible. We have nothing like it in the states. We were in Liverpool in 2001; too bad we didn't get to see more than the Beetles and Albert Dock.
ReplyDeleteYou always give such a nice tour of all the fabulous buildings you visit. Can you imagine the back aching labor to lay all those tiles. I don't imagine they had rubber mats to kneel on either. Beautiful, thanks for the tour.
ReplyDeleteHave never been to Liverpool but this makes me want to. I love pattern and could gaze at these tiled floors forever! They have given me inspiration for the border patterns in my work. Lovely blog.
DeleteThat was a good £1 worth of amazing colour and art.
ReplyDeleteLisa x