We've had an invasion of dragons this week in school.
We've been celebrating Chinese New Year.
Of course 2012 is the Year of the Dragon.
My class made some dragon lanterns ....
Year Six had a Chinese banquet,
and Year One have a Chinese restaurant play area this term.
Pamela brought these lucky fish back from a trip to Hong Kong last year.
Yesterday, we had a surprise guest appearance in assembly.
A six metre long water dragon came to visit.
It took 15 children to lift it up and perform a little dance.
His friend, the Lion came too.....
Four lucky children had the chance to get inside!
They loved it, but said it was really heavy and very hot!!!
Liverpool has the oldest Chinese community in the country, and the largest Chinese arch outside China.
(Google Images)
The New Year is marked every year with wonderful celebrations in Chinatown.
Lots of our pupils went along to see, so there's been a great buzz around school all week!
Kung Hei Fat Choi!








I bet the children really enjoyed the celebrations! My son had a chinese themed meal at school today and he really enjoyed it, especially the sponge cake with icing!!! x
ReplyDeleteThat looks lovely and colourful. We don't have a china town in Sheffield. x
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful. I love the lion.I bet the children loved it. I actually saw a chinese lion dance at a chinese new year a couple of years ago and it was amazing to watch.
ReplyDeleteGillx
Your school does the neatest activities. I can imagine how excited the students got when they were chosen to be apart of the festivities. The lanterns your class made are adorable.
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful patterns and bright colours.
ReplyDeleteThose dragon lanterns look great!
ReplyDeleteThat all looks so bright and cheery. I remember my daughter learing Kung Hei Fat Choi when she was in reception class for an assembly she was taking part in, it doesn't seem like two minutes ago. How wonderful that the dragon and lion came to school, getting inside those must have been quite an experience for the children.
ReplyDeleteI never did anything about Chinese New Year when I was at school and we've never done it at school since I've worked in one (ten years)! It looks like lots of fun!
ReplyDeleteBrilliant! I love dragons.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! I bet they had fun with the costumes!
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I haven't been ignoring you - but I haven't been able to look at your blog until today! Each time I clicked onto it, I briefly saw the page and then it went onto a blank page. No idea why, but it's good to see you again!!
What fab decorations you have in school. We had a Chinese meal for tea on Tuesday to celebrate and at the weekend there are lots of celebrations going on in town.
ReplyDeleteHope the year of the Dragon is a good one for all!
Lisa x
Very very impressive and fun for all.
ReplyDeleteThat looks like great fun. I bet the children enjoyed it:)
ReplyDeleteGreat that your school has the theme of Chinese New Year. Sounds students enjoyed so much and the decoration is rich.
ReplyDeleteTerrie from Hong Kong
Lucky children, school seems such a more intereseting place nowadays....
ReplyDeleteThe colours are just fab!
Lx
I have decided that you are a great teacher. Very creative, and I think that helps the kids to learn so much better.
ReplyDeletebrilliant.....I love the lanterns your kids made..........never knew that about Liverpool.....fascinating!!
ReplyDeleteWhat fun and so colourful. The lanterns are gorgeous.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun you've had at school this week. Learning should be like this most of the time!!! Your school must have looked amazing; so bright and colourful. Ros
ReplyDeleteI am excited to try this.
ReplyDelete