For the last three weekends we've been visiting some of our local National Trust properties. We took out NT membership way back in April, and have been in a bit of a rush to make the most of it before the end of the season.
So, first we travelled to Penrhyn Castle in North Wales. I remember going there as a child, and it has long been on my list of things to do.
It is a Victorian Gothic Castle built in 1840, by a seriously wealthy family. They'd had made their money in the Slave Trade, and in slate mines, and they had plenty to spend! The interiors are incredible, with an amazing stone staircase. You could spend a lifetime looking at the hundreds of carvings. It's as though they were shown the pattern books and said "Why choose? Let's have them all!"
The views of the Welsh coastline are impressive, or would have been on a brighter day. Rain was threatening all afternoon.
We loved Penrhyn for it's sheer 'over-the-top-ness' .... a magnificent example of Victorian bling. We must go back on a warmer day, so we can get out into the gardens too.
Next stop was a visit to Tatton Park, with my daughter who was home for the weekend. It's always a special treat to spend some quality Mother and Daughter time! We look forward to our days out, while we catch up with all the news.
All the best days start with a lovely lunch, and we had ours in in the nicest gardeners' cottage you could imagine. We loved the little details, like the bread being served in a little plant pot. Really sweet!
After our house tour, we were keen to see the garden....
... bravely negotiating our way past the Hallowe'en ghosts who were lurking around every corner.
I loved the glasshouses were filled with tropical plants of all descriptions.
And the odd ghost or two.
The sky was bright blue - unusual for October, and we took advantage of the warm sunshine.
I have a soft spot for lions ... it's the Leo in me, I suppose. This guy was guarding the pond in the rose garden.
Tatton had a cosy, relaxed feel about it. It was filled with families out and about in the autumn sunshine, having a great time. We loved it! We will return with Inca to walk in the parkland.
This Saturday we visited Dunham Massey, which is quite near Tatton Park, but couldn't be more different. This Georgian building was owned by a family descended from Elizabeth Woodville (the White Queen from the recent BBC series). The house is huge with lots and lots to see. We spent ages wandering round.
While the formal rooms are lovely ... I always find myself drawn to less grand details, probably because I can never see myself as an upstairs sort of person.
I loved the collection of old luggage.
The maids were busy polishing the staircase ....
A little peep into a cupboard revealed a collection of cleaning materials .... anyone remember the Ewbank carpet cleaner?
I loved the laundry, sunlight pouring in through the leaded windows.
Outside in the gardens, Autumn was in full swing, but it was cold and damp so we didn't linger.
As we headed back to the car park we stumbled across a corner filled with dog graves from hundreds of years ago. So sweet.
So, there we have it .... a whistle stop tour of three NT properties. Great days out, lots to see - indoors and out, and good food in each cafe .... what's not to like?







Three NT properties that we visit regularly.The Winter Garden is worth a visit at Dunham Massey.We are so lucky to have so many NT places within a short distance.We join every year.
ReplyDeleteWhat fabulous days out and your photos almost make it seem like i'm there too! Love your post- it certainly gives us a flavour of what the three properties are about. I haven't been to any of those NT places- maybe I should join again once I get back in the UK.:)
ReplyDeleteThree very different properties but all so beautiful in there own way. I love the idea of the bread being served in the flowerpot.
ReplyDeleteLisa x
Thanks for taking us around these lovely properties, they were wonderful.
ReplyDeletePatricia x