On Day Two we ventured beyond Bath into the beautiful surrounding countryside, all gently rolling hills and honey coloured villages. Apologies for the picture laden post .... there was was just so much to see.
First, we headed to Bradford on Avon ....
We found the Saxon church of St Lawrence, dating from around 700 A.D. It was tiny, with room for only about ten people at a push.
The church next door is much newer .... only dating from Norman times about 300 years later!
A short walk along the river led to this amazing Tithe Barn, which was cavernous. It is probably the finest example of such a medieval barn in the country.
There were some beautiful shops in the out buildings. I wanted to buy a very fine table but sadly we couldn't get it home! We may have to investigate their on-line store.
Next stop, the lovely village of Lacock, where they filmed my very favourite costume drama
First, we headed to Bradford on Avon ....
We found the Saxon church of St Lawrence, dating from around 700 A.D. It was tiny, with room for only about ten people at a push.
The church next door is much newer .... only dating from Norman times about 300 years later!
A short walk along the river led to this amazing Tithe Barn, which was cavernous. It is probably the finest example of such a medieval barn in the country.
You can find out more here on this link:
There were some beautiful shops in the out buildings. I wanted to buy a very fine table but sadly we couldn't get it home! We may have to investigate their on-line store.
Next stop, the lovely village of Lacock, where they filmed my very favourite costume drama
Cranford!!!!
You could just imagine Miss Mattie stepping out of one of the cottages!
You could just imagine Miss Mattie stepping out of one of the cottages!
We were there to visit Lacock Abbey, originally a medieval convent, and then after Henry VIII closed it down, it became a private residence.
These rooms were used as classrooms in the Harry Potter films.
Finally we drove to the little village of Castle Combe, which we had read was 'the prettiest village in England'. It didn't disappoint.
We found out from a display in the church, that this was the village where they filmed the recent tearjerker 'War Horse'.



















Oh I'm so glad you went to Castle Combe! We went there in 2008 after I had found it on the internet in my pre-trip research. Absolutely beautifulisn't it?
ReplyDeleteYou are so lucky to have all these lovely places virtually on your doorstep.
Cheers
Lovely post and great photos.
ReplyDeleteWe go to these places all the time as they are right on my door step.I love Lacock.Pleased you had such a lovely time.Lesley x
ReplyDeleteJust beautiful Kathy. xxx
ReplyDeleteYou really did have a trip around didn't you. My Mum used to live in Bradford on Avon- it's lovely done by the river isn't it.
ReplyDeleteGillx
Lovely photos - you've visited some beautiful places! We've visitied Lacock village and abbey and Bradford on Avon - I loved the Saxon church and Tithe Barn but have never been to Castle Combe itt looks so pretty. Looks like you had a wonderful time:)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great trip.We have so many beautiful places in Britain.You always make the most of every holiday.
ReplyDeleteI have never been to Bath or the surrounding area but am now very tempted!
ReplyDeleteAll very pretty and what a fabulous barn.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely photos! The area surrounding Bath is so beautiful! I love the pictures of the tithe barn. It's hard to imagine that something made by man could continue to stand after hundreds of years!!
ReplyDeleteWow such lovely places, full of history! I wish I had known when we visited Bath! Next time we'll have to make it a weekend to see all these lovely places! xxx
ReplyDeleteSome great photos - it's lovely to revisit a part of the UK that I once knew very well!
ReplyDeleteI can't get over how beautiful your photos are! I especially love the barn with the cross! It's stunning!
ReplyDeleteHave a great weekend!
Thank you for taking me on a wonderful walk. The date always amaze me. Australia is such a baby.
ReplyDelete