So, Summer has returned to the UK after an absence of several years.
I can't remember a time of such settled warmth and sunshine for such a long time.
Isn't it lovely?
On Friday evening we took the picnic basket off to North Wales ..... to Llandudno.
The resort was basking in a shimmering haze and the sea was like milky glass.
We ate on the beach and then headed up Marine Drive above the iconic pier. It would have been nice to go on the tram to the top of the Orme, but nothing is ever open in Llandudno in the evening. It just shuts down .... like a ghost town.
I just love the red, white and blue bunting at the gateway to the pier.
We had a little walk on the Great Orme in the late evening sunshine and watched the seagulls gliding over the sea cliffs. I've been coming here all my life, and normally the wind is gusting and howling. This time it was silent, broken only by the far off cries of the gulls. Just magical!
This is Mr B's stomping ground, he spends half his life rock climbing here.
I prefer not to look too closely at the cliffs. I prefer not to see what he gets up to!
From here there are good views of the Welsh mountains, and Conway Castle is in the distance, but the heat haze made it all seem soft-focus.
I recalled the times I came here as a child, wrapped in an anorak as we huddled against the elements.
At 9.30 it was still hot, and children were happily paddling and building sandcastles, everyone making the most of a special day.
We reluctantly dragged ourselves away to head home.
It's St Swithun's day.
Legend has it that whatever the weather is like today will be repeated for the next 40 days.
Looks like we're in for a good summer then!
I'd pass Llandudno on my way to my mum's home on Anglesey by train. We had a lovely day out there once.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't go near that cliff top either !
What a lovely picnic basket you have. How strange that everything closes down!?!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely day and stunning views.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely way to spend Friday evening. The last time I went to Llandudno it was very cold and windy! Jx
ReplyDeleteWhat a tremendously pretty place for a picnic.
ReplyDeleteI love the bunting photo too and the way you described everything in the third photo.
Love a slice of that lemon cake!
Lisa x
Lovely photos, you really get the feeling of the heat.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos. I too have childhood memories of Llandudno. It looks like you had a pefect evening for your picnic:)
ReplyDeleteHow beautiful. I would love to visit there someday. Thanks for sharing your photos and trip.
ReplyDeleteOo wouldn't it be nice if the legend holds true...!? I know I'm supposed to be sensible and think of the water supply, farmers and gardens - but how nice is it to see blue sky for more than a few hours?!! I don't mind at all if it rains at night?!!! Llandudno on a summers evening looks lovely. xx
ReplyDeleteLovely photos Kathy, and the evening shots are beautiful. Glad you enjoyed your picnic.
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten it was st swithun's day.....oh blimey it might come true!
ReplyDeleteI love Llandudno, such a lovely gentle resort. It is a shame on such a beautiful day things did not stay open to catch the trade!
Xxx
That could easily be abroad - I am loving the hot weather. xxx
ReplyDeletelooks fab! I love the picture of the bunting especially. It makes such a difference doesn't it to have a spell of gorgeous weather rather than the one odd day of sun which is normally our summer!
ReplyDeleteBH x
How beautiful! You are so lucky to live so close to such breathtaking scenery. Ros
ReplyDelete