Art Journal

Some thoughts and pictures from the
Beautiful Paradise Peninsula

(otherwise known as the Wirral)



Saturday, 19 May 2012

An Afternoon at the Opera

This is the first glimpse of Paris as you step off the Roissybus from the airport. As we arrived late on Friday evening the space was filled with elegant Parisians leaving the Opera Garnier. We vowed to return the next afternoon to take a peek inside. Apologies now for a picture laden post!
I'm just going to show you some of my photographs, as I have run out of superlatives to describe the splendour of this building. It just fills you with a soaring feeling of awe and wonder as you gaze at the sheer opulence of the place.
The actual theatre itself is quite small, but has a beautiful ceiling painted by Marc Chagall, one of my favourite artists.
The viewing gallery was miniscule, and we had to patiently wait to get these shots, (with our fellow Europeans who have a limited concept of the art of queuing)
It seems that a trip to the Opera was really an opportunity to see and be seen by society's finest, and  long galleries were built for the sole purpose of promenading in your finery.

We were able to step out onto the balcony and view the wide boulevards around the Opera.
More ornate lighting .... imagine a time when these were candle-lit.
Down below the theatre is a sort of grotto area, dark and cave-like.
Which reminds me .... I must, must, must get to see the Phantom of the Opera as soon as I can! It's been on my list for years now!
We couldn't believe that entrance to this incredible building was absolutely free .....
.... but we still couldn't afford anything in the shop..... trop cher for us I'm afraid!
My daughter couldn't resist trying a feather mask .....
.... and I really fancied one of these lovely lamps, but I consoled myself with the thought that I wouldn't be able to get it in my hand luggage. Oh well ... another time perhaps!

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely splendid! Words cannot describe it. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a stunning building, reminds me of the Vienna opera house which I went to a couple for years ago - I guess the same sort of era. Almost overwhelming in its grandeur, truly spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Th ceilings were magnificent. I agree the lamps seem to be one of a kind and I'd like a pair myself. I saw phantom - it was the best musical I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Paris is my absolute favourite city in the whole world. We hope to return in 2013 and you have given me a few new places to see. Many thanks, I've really enjoyed your holiday.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo! What an experience to explore such a venue. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know it was free!!!!!!!! When we went there, they seemed to be charging people to go and have a look round! Maybe they do on certain days. So gutted we didn't go in, it's beautiful!!! I really wanted to go down below because of the Phantom of the opera link! Lovely photos Kathy! Hope you are well!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! Yes there probably aren't enough words to describe the opulence and beauty of that building and the interior and decoration.
    Love the lamp too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks magnificent! Another place to add to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucky lucky you.....paris is so wonderful....but havent been inside the opera...next trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my...your readers just MUST click to enlarge these photos! What an amazing place and I need to add to to my "some day list" of places to visit. Some day.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realise you could look around inside - its mind blowing enough from the outside! Fabulous. Bazza sang Weekend in New England just for you Kathy! Its also worth noting that husbands who had clearly been dragged along (not mine) came out promising to take their wives to the next concert as they had totally loved every minute. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning photographs! I could imagine those gorgeous lamps in my bedroom! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning! I have never been to Paris, so maybe I should go! Sounds like an amazing weekend. Have a fun week..... if you are not yet into report writing mode ;-( Ros

    ReplyDelete
  14. We never went when we were in Paris..will have to go on the list now I have seen your stunning photos!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow .... I think that is all I can say .... an amazing place

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos ... how I wish I could have seen all that!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails